Atlanta on FX.......!

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by andreboba, Sep 7, 2016.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

It was actually 2 episodesairing as one.

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you would realistically have to ask how relateable a show like that would be to the average Joe or Jane viewer particularly black viewers. TV shows are about ratings and advertising dollars. No matter how interesting the set up for a show may be, no viewers, no dollars.

There you go. You can put the shows out there but if the majority can't relate to it.....:smt100

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Look at that Don Cheadle show on Showtime. No one cares about the show.

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

If people watch shows about successful people, they have to be over the top soap opera style drama and flash. They want the fantasy that successful people are living these out there lives they don't live. If not, the characters have to be somewhat relateable on one or more levels otherwise they'll tune out.

5. The Dark King

Just makes me sad because we complain to have other stories but won't support them

6. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

There's some truth to that, but I still say there's room for new and aspirational shows. And why not put people of color in fantasy shows? How many people can relate to experiences of characters in Game of Thrones? The Avengers?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I'm not saying there isn't or shouldn't be any new or aspirational shows, just that the viewing audience's interest in and how they relate to characters determines it's success. Any characters of color are usually unfairly saddled with the burden of being both interesting and relatable in order to appeal to a diverse audience, particularly if they are the primary protagonist of a series or movie.

8. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I sadly have to agree with RA on this. You could technically put this on BET to avoid having to worry about a diverse audience but then the people watching BET have to be able to relate to it. There is a large crowd that will not.

9. archangel

Saw episode 2
    How someone can address so many problems in the community in less than 30 mins is brilliant.

He showed mental problems in the jail system.
    He addressed children imitating terrible behavior from celebrities.
    He showed fans supporting the wrong thing(poorly worded)
    He touched lightly on gay issues.

I mean this show is brilliant. Hopefully these light touches will manifest into more than an appetizer on the plate.

10. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Nah. I'm still more optimistic than that. If all that was true, we wouldn't even have the progress we have.

If nothing else, we've got proof from the Marvel Universe that black protagonists aren't automatically off-putting. I think Black Panther and Luke Cage at least will show that there is a way to get non black folks interested.

11. archangel

well Black panther had a show on BET but that went away.

Surprised that you forgot Blade. He basically started the Marvel Universe.

Luke cage is a bit stereotypical in my opinion. I'll wait for static.....

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that went away mainly because it was poorly done using the cheap old school static style animation of actual comic book panels rather than full on animation.

13. The Dark King

Not to mention the demographic of black people who like comics don't mess with BET
    They destroyed their reputation and there is no coming back. Just keep at lowest common denominator tv

14. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

BET is still a brand name in the Black community.
    It's all about their programming.

If that network was for sale and I had a few hundred million laying around to invest, I'd definitely buy it and turn it into a hybrid VICE/Fuse/PBS.:rolleyes:

15. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Show still lasted five years though. Give it credit for that.

16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

It was also critically acclaimed.

17. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

When it comes to black entertainment, we tend to be a little myopic. Everything has to do with "the struggle," the streets, race or it has to be comedy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there are enough of us black nerds to keep a black Game Of Thrones or a black Star Trek going. Culturally, most of us are too caught up in the day to day burdens and joys of real life to be able to really get into fantasy fare.

I'm liking Atlanta so far. Nicely done. Glover is a talented guy.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I agree. But I don't think it's too much to expect to be included in fantasy casts in general. If it's a fantasy, they could easily write in people of color.

19. The Dark King

Then it's a favor

20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I've never seen "Mystery Team". Is it worth watching?