Ashley Graham and her husband, Justin Ervin

Discussion in 'Celebrity WW/BM Couples' started by F360, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Well, what are "Latinas" anyway? Mix of Europeans (mostly Spanish), native Americans and Africans in different proportions. So the Europeans also made their contribution to the famous curves. Especially for the ones that don't look like they have African blood.

2. Madeleine

My grandma had that olive complexion and dark brown hair with green eyes. She would have easily passed as Persian, Arab or Afghani. We are kinda more complex than one thinks.

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Bowing out of this convo now

4. K

K Well-Known Member

Right....Italian, Greek, etc

But Americans tend to mean South American when they are talking about Latina.....often more specifically Mexican.

5. Madeleine

Yes, I know. That's also what we mean. But historically are Mexicans not a mix of native Americans and Spanish blood (the Spanish conquistadores)? Since we are trying to analyze where the curves came from. I'm saying Europeans have more curves than some might think and they contributed also to the famous Latina curves;)

6. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe the russian part. There are some very dark people over there.

7. Madeleine

I thought you wanted this convo:p;)

8. RicardoCooper

Offhand remark becomes full-on pedantic nitpick fest...nein danke

9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I think it's because we're so used to seeing white girls hide their thickness and starve themselves. So, now that hips and ass is in, white women aren't killing themselves to stay thin. For so long, if a white chick had some meat on her bones, she wasn't considered atractive. Let's face it, for so many years the white boy's standard of beauty was based around his fragile ego. Thinner than him. Shorter than him. And as docile as possible. Basically, she had to be built like a pre-teen boy with tits.

That translates into us thinking that white chicks just don't naturally have bodies like that. While, in actuality, a good number of WW have had them all along. It was just hidden through starvation and clothing designed to camouflage said ... assets.

10. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Still like this more or less. Norwegian men think I am fat.

11. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

I think I have said before that the fashion industry wants models who looked like boys.
    Maybe because the industry is pften directed by gay men.

12. RicardoCooper

Oh you missed my point entirely. Curvy WW have been with us this whole time. I'm not some youngun, I've seen and lived through their relatively-new acceptance. But still when you think curvy, WW aren't the first to come to mind. Hence their popularity among black men as unicorns. My only point was that Ms. Graham's darker features make her seem ethnic when in fact she describes herself and a simple, Midwestern white girl.

Who knew my throwaway comment would spark such discussion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. RicardoCooper

That and the fact that models are indeed mannequins and their body shapes can't overshadow the clothes

14. RicardoCooper

I don't :p

15. Madeleine

Curves are not in on our side. Sometimes I myself wonder the kind of skinny flat-chested, flat-assed chicks man go crazy about over here. I think if I were a man I wouldn't want a small-boy version of myself.

16. Madeleine

This!
    I made sure to stay really slim when I was younger but ever since I had kids it's like my body is refusing to cooperate with that. But I don't have that petite smallish frame and at some point I had to realize I actually looked better when I let my body carry the weight it was designed to carry. And it also helps that once I passed 30 I didn't bother as much what anyone thought.

17. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

Is he black ?

18. Madeleine

Who?

19. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Ah ... I see what you're getting at. My bad. Carry on. ...lol

20. Madeleine

I'm gonna distract this conversation again (I know you won't like that), but what's "ethnic" for you guys? Anyone who can trace their origin to a single source? Anyone who isn't American? Anyone who is darker than Americans with British ancestry? Sounds like the typical white American is the standard and everyone else is "other", I.e. ethnic. Just like straight hair is "standard" and other types of hair are "bad hair". I don't buy such linguistic biases. Nothing against you personally, just what I think about it in general.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017