As an IR Couple, have you ever had to face prejudice?

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by Bex, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MixedCalifornian

MixedCalifornian Active Member

The amount of prejudice I receive just from being attracted to white women is ridiculous. I recalled a time I took my girlfriend out to a resturaunt, and the waiter gave us separate checks. Lets just say he didn't get a generous tip. People only assumed that "I was only with her for sex." Some ignorant blacks often called me a sellout. Hell some mexicans even joked "You would go for the white girl."

The irony behind this? Nevermind the fact that my mother's white.

The funny thing is this was in high-school, and we still have barely progressed.

2. Nikkers

Nikkers Well-Known Member

There were so many stares when I'd be out with my ex at the mall. We'd be holding hands, and chatting in sign language. Either people would stare because of the signing, the fact we're not of the same race... or both. Let them stare... it's not like any of their comments would've bothered or hurt us :lol:

Interracial coupling isn't as common home, the only IR couples I've seen in my life at home were all in the deaf community. I've never seen a IR couple that could hear. Kinda makes me wonder.... lol

3. ElectricFox

ElectricFox New Member

A few challenges of people's prejudice toward my IR relationships

I've had a few experiences of prejudice throughout my life from both blacks and whites toward dating ww. I even had an ex who always talked down on white men although she was a ww, and had mostly dated white men before. It was still quite unsettling to me.

My brother was the dean of a historically black fraternity and threw me a party near the college campus and I brought my gf along to meet him for the first time. She was the only ww in the house, in fact, the only white person there. I made it a point for us to stay just long enough for me to see my brother whom I haven't seen over a year at that point. Within minutes the black women there were mean-mugging and snickering at her. One even bumped into us while I was holding her hand on the way out the door. It pisses me off to notice so many black women, especially older black women, being so childish over IR relationships. They feel betrayed or something, its rediculous.

A black buddy of mine's mom knows that I date ww and she made it a point to tell him "you can play outside in the snow, just don't track it in the house" right in front of me. Basically saying its ok to have sex with ww, just don't date her, get her pregnant, or marry her. It disgusted me, my buddy saw my face when she said it and I had to walk away before I gave her a.piece of.my mind.

Another time I had a black gf who was 6 years older than me (I was 17 she was 24) and she used to insist that if I ever had to cheat it'd "better not be with a ww". Wtf, seriously? So yeah I've definitely had some crazy experiences...