As an IR Couple, have you ever had to face prejudice?

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by Bex, Oct 25, 2009.

1. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

Not really. People are generally pretty chilled out here. I've personally had more prejudice when I was dating an Asian guy, and not when I was dating black men.

2. I've had a couple of disapproving clucks from elderly asian women whilst just WALKING with my gifrlriends, not even hand in hand. A couple of Asian guys have given me some jealous looks. Which was odd, given that one of them had and asian gf who was an absolute stunner, but he wouldn't stop drooling over my WW when he thought I wasn't looking...sorry, bhaiyaa, she's mine and I'm not swapping!!

:)

Outside of that, nothing.

3. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

How would you feel if your sister dated a Black man..??

You're Indian right?

I bet you'd shit a brick.

4. Bex

Bex New Member

Intersting...

My best friend is Indian, her parents are cool with her and her Sister dating white men but would dis own them if they went out with a black guy..

5. LA

LA Well-Known Member

:neutral:

6. Bex

Bex New Member

I know.. it's sad, I'm just happy my parents don't think like that

7. stiletoes

stiletoes Well-Known Member

Yes daily the world is still f-ed up

8. flaminghetero

I know...that's how they are.

That's why I asked him.

He'd shit a pyramid of bricks if his sister dated a BM.

9. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

My husband and I faced prejudice when we went to the registery office in Kenya this year. We were there to enquire about (and book) our wedding and the women in the office, where we were waiting, gave me the most evil looks and said (laughing) to my husband "What's wrong? Are you sick of black women?". My husband's answer...."Yes". :smt042
    We actually got a lot of that from women over there. I've had no prejudice from white Australians (except one teenage girl I work with said to me "OMG aren't you scared?" - referring to my husband being black). And we've had no bad comments or prejudice from black/African men either.

I just brush it off as 'they're jealous that I got the gorgeous guy and they didn't'. :smt080

10. flaminghetero

If you were a white male with a kenyan female...those same women would have been smiling and congratulating you.

11. Bex

Bex New Member

Yes, jealous is what they are .. and what is there to be scared of? Some people do say some funny things :lol:

12. jamaltwoseven

jamaltwoseven New Member

I've had ex-gfs lose friends over them dating me because on my color. I really thought we were passed something so immature like that.

There is also this white guy i was friends with in high school who started messaging me any medium he could, AIM, facebook, myspace etc to call me a nigger for dating a white girl he liked in high school. I can't believe people sometimes.

13. Bex

Bex New Member

That's awful! Just when you think we are turning a corner in our society, some idiot is there to remind you racism does still, very much exist :(

Most of the comments/racist remarks tend to be from inferior white men or dense white women.

14. jamaltwoseven

jamaltwoseven New Member

I agree, it's ironic too that he was calling me a "loser like the rest of them that cant hold a job" and things when he hasn't done anything in the 5 years since we graduated. talk about a hypocrite.

I just don't get it, just cause of color, you hate? especially when the guy knew what I'm like.

15. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

Oh my goodness. :-( I'll never understand this kind of hate. It all boggles my mind, really. :-?

16. jamaltwoseven

jamaltwoseven New Member

Have you been dating BM your whole life? I would hope at my age most of that kind of immaturity is behind me.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

People that feel really low about themselves have a need to trash others to feel better.. Good thing you found out his true colors..
    Karma is a bitch, he will get his.

And you keep on shining!!!

18. fromrussiawithlove

fromrussiawithlove New Member

I'm actually curious about the Black/Asian relationships as well.
    Jaybee, I know that a BM/AW relationship would be heavily frowned upon, but what if an Asian man was to date a Black woman? Would the reaction from his family/community be just as negative?

19. Bex

Bex New Member

I certainly can't speak for every Asian, nor would I like to pass judgement.. But out of the friends I have, who are Asian, their parents would not accept it. But none of my Asian friends are remotely attracted to Black Men.

But saying that, alot of my white friend are of the same opinion.

20. It would probably not be as negative, but I'm pretty damn certain it would be negative.

On the other hand, I would expect my Dad to react differently if I brought Leona Lewis round to his place for dinner than Gina Yashere.