600 men turn up to stand in for absent fathers at Texas school’s Breakfast with Dads event

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Incredible!
    Faculty had asked for just 50 volunteers... <3

[​IMG]

This heartwarming act of kindness occurred last month at Billy Earl Dade Middle School in Dallas.

600 men showed up to support students with absent fathers at a Texas middle school's Breakfast with Dads event after just 50 volunteers were sought.

[​IMG]

The middle school has a population of nearly 900 students and about 90 per cent of those pupils come from low-income families.

About 150 male students, ages 11 to 13, signed up for the Breakfast with Dads event, which was held on December 14, 2017, but children's advocate Kristina Chäadé Dove wasn't sure if every student would have a father present during the program.
    She immediately jumped into action, using social media to call for volunteers for the event.
    Dove wrote on Facebook on December 4...

[​IMG]

'Please Share! Men Needed! On next Thursday, December 14th at 8:30 AM at Dr. Billy Earle Dade Middle School we will host 'Breakfast with Dads' the reality of a great event like this is alot of our kids will not have a Dad present,'
    'But there is nothing like having a male present in the form of a mentor. We are [in] need of at least 50 or more additional male mentors who can devote 1 hour of their Wednesday morning next week to this cause,'
    she added.

And on the day of the program, event organizers were overcome with emotion when 600 men showed up to support their students.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"When a young person sees someone other than their teacher take interest in them, it inspires them. That's what we want to see happen,'
    the Rev Donald Parish Jr., pastor of True Lee Missionary Baptist Church and the event organizer, told the Dallas Morning News.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stephanie Drenka, a Dallas photographer and blogger, gave details of the event on her website.

'I was privileged to photograph the event at Kristina’s request. It was a miracle any of the pictures came out in focus, because I could barely see clearly through the tears streaming down my face and fogged-up glasses,' she recalled on her blog.

The look of awe- even disbelief- in students' eyes as they made their way through the crowd of “Dads” was astonishing,' she added.

[​IMG]

'I will never forget witnessing the young students surrounded by supportive community members. There were so many volunteers, that at times I saw young men huddled in the center of 4-5 mentors,' Drenka wrote.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"I listened to some of the conversations while moving around the room snapping photos. There was so much inspiration everywhere– the hope was palpable and reached every corner of the crowded room..."

[​IMG]

The mentors and students had breakfast together while they chatted.

[​IMG]

They shared their knowledge, encouragement, and passions with the students.

[​IMG]

According to Drenka, Jamil 'The Tie Man' Tucker led the auditorium in a hands-on icebreaker activity.

He talked about learning how to tie a necktie as a rite of passage some young men never experience.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, mentors and fathers handed out ties to the students and helped them 'perfect their half-Windsor knot....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This young man shakes hands with one of the mentors of the program after tying his tie

[​IMG]
    This mentor is showing students how to play the trumpet

'We hope this event was only the beginning of a movement in Dallas to ensure every student has access to mentorship,' Drenka said.

The opportunity gap in Dallas has reached a crucial point, with more than 30 per cent of children living in poverty while more affluent areas of the city continue to prosper, according to Drenka.

The moving program has not only touched the lives of those who participated, but it also made its rounds on the internet as several people on social media said the inspirational event 'brought tears' to their eyes.

https://stephaniedrenka.com/stories-kristina-dove/

**Cont...below due to photo limits..

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Cont...

Jason Rodriguez, the assistant chief of police for the Dallas
    Independent School District Police Department, tweeted about the event.

'Words cannot describe the impact mentoring youth can have on both you and your mentee. Powerful to see a community of fellow men and fathers come together to wrap their arms around our young men. Thank you for having me out,' Rodriguez wrote.

[​IMG]
    He posted photos of himself with four students smiling from ear-to-ear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rodriguez is also seen showing one of the young boys how to tie a necktie.

Studies have shown that the presence of a caring adult in a young person's life can help overcome the negative effects of adverse childhood experiences.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

That's awesome.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

And next to no media coverage. I wonder why.

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Is this the event where the current fake outrage controversy about Rapper Nipsey Hussle's Instagram post took place?

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

No idea what you're referencing.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

l actually combined the best of 3 separate news reports into one story. There were in fact, quite a few national newspapers.and cable news shows, along with local news, that covered it, as well as SM.