Wife of NFL star dies of lung cancer just weeks after her wedding

Discussion in 'In the News' started by JordanC, Dec 31, 2011.

1. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Go to the link to watch a video of their wedding. It's a tearjerker.

Wife of NFL star dies of lung cancer just weeks after her wedding - even though she wasn't a smoker

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    Last updated at 4:16 PM on 31st December 2011

The wife of former NFL star Chris Draft has died after a long battle with cancer
    Lakeasha Monique Rutledge Draft, who was a professional cheerleader for the Charlotte Hornets, died on Tuesday of lung cancer, just a month after the couple wed.

The 38-year-old had never been a smoker.

Keasha, as she was known, first met her husband to be,in Charlotte where Chris had been transferred from Atlanta to play for the Carolina Panthers, according to Examiner.com.

The talented cheerleader worked with Draft on his charitable foundations until she was diagnosed with the terminal disease last year.
    At the time of the diagnosis, Keasha was working as a pharmaceuticals sales rep in Atlanta where Chris was also living.

At the ceremony in Atlanta last month, Keasha, by then very ill, came down down the aisle in a wheelchair.

Even though her frail body was by then riddled with cancer, the stunning bride rose from the chair to walk the last few steps, Sporting News reported.
    Linebacker Draft, who played for the Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, St. Louis Rams and Buffalo Bills over a 12-year-career has paid tribute to his life partner's courage and determination.

In a post on his foundation's website, 'She courageously faced lung cancer, showing us all with every breath that we all need to hold onto life and love with both hands for as long as we can. he wrote:
    Not just an inspiration, but a light, and a force that led the way with a beautiful, sweet smile and bright shining eyes that both belied the pure steel of her strength and determination,' Draft wrote.

'Strong is too pale, too shallow and too small of a word to describe Keasha’s vibrancy ... Quite simply, she was ferocious. She fiercely held onto life, and love with a forcefulness that was absolutely awe-inspiring and completely breathtaking. Rest in peace, Mrs. Draft.'
    A funeral will be held today in Williamston, South Carolina.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lung-cancer-weeks-wedding.html#ixzz1i8LM9PZd

2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Life sucks.

Nothing is scarier than developing lung cancer and you never smoked.
    I assume she was exposed to a carcinogen of some kind. Is it possible to be genetically predisposed to lung cancer??:confused:

3. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Tear-jerker is right. I'm glad she got to have the experience of being married to the love of her life, even if only for a few weeks. Bless her heart. And I feel terribly sad for him. What a bittersweet that day must have been....

4. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Yes, it is possible - there are a few genetic markers they found for never-smoker lung cancer. GPC5 and CYP1A1 polymorphism is the ones that comes to mind.

5. JordanC

I started to cry again hearing your comments on it. There is a page on FB for her....that he made. You should check it out. Apparently she is an engineer. She was well accomplished in her own right. But yeah. Life isn't fair.

That is what I thought. Thanks for the answer.

6. MYXER

MYXER New Member

Cancer scares the shit out of me, it discriminates against nobody. Unfortunately cancer is more aggressive in black people. I'm convinced that I'm gonna get this shit one day. Keep your head up Chris.

7. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

Damn, tough story to read.

Very sad to hear something like this.

Always makes me wonder when I hear these stories.

I know a woman that smokes like a chimney, coughs all the time from it, doesn't have lung cancer and doesn't care to stop smoking.

Then you come across this story. Truly baffling how the world works.

8. JordanC

Probably lends itself to thinking enviroment + genetics. Makes you realize you should be happy and live life.

9. fantasyfangrl

fantasyfangrl New Member

Very touching story & video. It takes a special kind of man to stand by someone who is terminally ill. For him to make sure she was his wife before she passed away shows just how much he loved her.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking. Just too sad.