Westworld

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Thump, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Anybody else catch the premiere?

--Spoilers--

I thought for sure the episode was going to end with one of the robots killing a real person, I'm glad they avoided that obvious plot device.

I wonder how far into the future this takes place in?

I also wonder if anybody in that world has considered the ethical pandoras box they have opened by creating a world where anybody can murder and rape "people" who look indistinguishable from real humans?

I'm not sure where they are going to go with the show. But the concept leads to all kinds of interesting possibilities. If I recall correctly the story the show is based on said there were other "worlds" besides the old west. I think a "Fantasyworld" would be a interesting idea after the cowboys and horses have worn out their interest.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Caught the re-play last night. They have to build up to the inevitable robots killing humans in order to play upon the various ethical themes they want to address.

I'm guessing they must be quite ways into the future considering Ed Harris' character comments on how he'd been regularly going there for about 30 years.

In the original story there were a total of three amusement park worlds : West World, Medieval World & Roman World.

3. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Watched this last night and I can honestly say it's right up my street the whole A.I consciousness and the morality of making them sick entertainment for some is pretty similar to channel 4s series Humans and one man's obsession to make them identical in every way.

I need to watch the old Westworld and see what that's like, saw it pop up in the catch up menu when I looked for this one.

Love how the unfinished base models look like they came out of a 3D printer.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I thought the pilot episode was pretty good. I need another show to keep up with like I need a hole in my head, lol.

5. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I didn't know these sites existed. Thanks for the heads-up. I loved the first two episodes and now that Jeffrey Wright's character is in an IR, I'm definitely checking for it regularly.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

-spoilers-

Whoa! BBC alert. I can only imagine a "robot" with a wiener that big must be pretty popular with the female(or some male) guests. Although the scene has generated at least one article that feels it was exploitive.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/westworld-black-male-nudity-anatomy-of-a-scene.html

Anyway, I'm starting to get the vibe that the storylines we see are happening in different time periods.

I hope they don't take five seasons to start answering some questions.

I'm also counting down to the episode when a real person gets their head ripped off.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What I don't get is this weird scenario where sadist need to blow of steam reminds me of the purge. What is it with writers depicting white people as sociopaths who need to constantly destroy shit.

9. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Ummmm......they write what they know. :wink:

10. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

The twist on last night's episode was pretty epic, although kind of predictable if you pay close enough attention.

11. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Excellent show!

12. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

It kind of reminds me of Dollhouse.

13. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

^
    Newly empowered super-bot Maeve (Thandie Newton) threatens the park's arrogant head writer Lee Sizemore (Simon Quarterman), who finds himself the victim of his own violent narratives in season 2.

[​IMG]

^
    Rancher's daughter turned rebellion leader Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) and cowboy Teddy (James Marsden) are now aware they're programmed, yet some bonds are tough to break.

[​IMG]

^
    That menacing white figure is called a "drone host" and somehow relates to Delos' top-secret project. Here, it's confronted by the park's science chief Bernard (Jeffrey Wright), who discovered he was an android last season.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

With no Game of Thrones this year, this is the only reason I haven't canceled my HBO subscription. ;)

15. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

All apart of their masterplan. lol.

16. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

Delosdestinations.com

Dear valued client,

Looking for a more advanced type of thrill? We invite you to indulge your fantasies and embrace your inner warrior at another stunning Delos Destination. Modeled after Japan’s Edo period, Shogun World is home to beautiful landscapes juxtaposed with dark horror. If you are an experienced guest looking to raise the stakes — this park is meant for you.

Find inspiration for your next adventure in the offerings below.

Best Regards,

Guest Services

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  17. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I watch everything through flixtor (www.flixtor.to), it catches up everything.

18. SilverSmith

Aesthetically pleasing site with an abundance of content to boot.
    Thanks for the link.

19. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

And for anyone else that watched the last episode and was thinking during the geisha dance scence "Wait..is that..."

20. SilverSmith

Only one episode left?!!! The season went by swiftly. Is William, the Man in Black, human or...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018