The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

This past weekend at DC in D.C. John Ridley was featured in a panel called The Many Shades of Heroism: DC Heroes Through the African-American Lens. Despite Ridley quickly shutting down the request for more details on his upcoming project, the 45-minute panel is well worth the watch. The panel starts at 52:40!

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

What is John Ridley up to? There's been constant talks of him producing a Marvel TV show for ABC the last few years, but nothing has come of it.

3. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

WB's exhilarating new trailer for Tomb Raider staring Alicia Vikander as British archaeologist-adventurer Lara Croft.. Yo when can I cop those advance tickets? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I liked her since Ex Machina. She was awesome in that.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Hell yes!

6. ColiBreh1

Y'all thoughts on the "Black Lightning" series premiere that aired this week?

7. samson1701

To my understanding, it's a book he's doing for Marvel. I could be wrong.

8. samson1701

I thought it was a better version of what I expected it to be. You can really tell black people wrote the show. That's a good thing.

Wish they would've kept the throw back costume from the flash backs, though. All in all, so far so good. Really doesn't feel like any of the other CW superhero shows. It's a 9pm show and it feels like it More serious. I hope they keep that tone.

You can really tell black a black woman has some authority over casting, not a light skin chick in sight. They went for straight chocolate with this one. None of that Iris, Vixen butterscotch yellow, shit. ...lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  9. ColiBreh1

As someone who has watched a ton of CW shows over the years, this is 1 of the main things I noticed. The daughters are nothing like the black females in the various CW dramas I've watched over the years.

10. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

DC Comics has now announced two new ads, each spotlighting different titles from the New Age of DC Heroes line, to run on TV networks across North America.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Lmao @ butterscotch.
    Word

12. The Dark King

Which shows me this ain't for comic fans its for black girls who may or may not be into comics.
    Honestly I wasn't to keen on all the hood stuff but I get its place just hoping more for suburban or Midwestern vibe like Smallville if they had to put a hs in it

13. ColiBreh1

14. The Dark King

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. ColiBreh1

An update. According to Wikipedia, Mara Brock Akil is just an Executive Producer on "Black Lightning". Her Husband Salim Akil is the Developer, Showrunner/EP, Head Writer, & even he even directed the Pilot.

I gotta [​IMG] Mara for putting her Husband on.

16. samson1701

He's bi in real life. So, yeah, it's coming. Also,Constantine is a bi character. So, there's that.

I'm just holding out till' Marcell returns in The Originals. So far, he's been the lone brotha' fuckin' girls on The CW shows I watch.

How do y'all feel about Jimmy Olsen fuckin' Lena Luthor? I'm not with it because she's not as hot as Kara. Plus, she's a Luthor so you know it's about to be some bullshit.

I'm looking for things to change on all the Arrowverse shows. Women are in charge of them, now. So, it will be interesting to see how that's going to effect them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  17. darkcurry

I wrote about that in the IR on TV thread, I preferred they bring Lucy back, although things seem good with him and Lena she is a Luthor.

18. The Dark King

Well I'm a businessman I get it change or die just sucks that black men are often left out or don't get to experience heartthrob status like our white counterparts. Also I get annoyed with female lead writing because they write as women first and not actual fans of the genre they take charge of.
    Hopefully it gets better. I'm willing to give anything a chance at this point.

Lena Luther with Jimmy is meaningless to me it only counted when him Kara were in play. The way they friend zoned him after she pined for dude the entire season was lame and unforgivable. One kiss and she sees him as a pal seriously name even one other instance where a main character pursued or pined that hard someone and then said nah after finally getting them. If they even gave us a damn arc where they tried and things didn't work out I'd respect it more but nope one kiss and he's her little brother now that she scolds for trying to fight crime.

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

I actually find Lena Hotter personally....The issue is going from fucking Supergirl, main character and alien with godlike super powers to Lena....one keeps James close to the main plot the other doesnt the only positve of banging Luthor is she is rich if you look at it from the real world prospective....

Marcel on the one the other hand gets to bang the main Female Original Vampire.

20. darkcurry

I believe they did that because how corny and bad the writing was leading up to their chemistry. Whether on purpose or not(I think it was on purpose.) they made James standoffish to Kara while she was pursuing him, there were times where he looked at her very clueless you can see the actors struggling which showed that it was bad writing. The main character involved in IR romance especially if the main character is a white woman is still kind of taboo in the entertainment industry, some producers don't want to normalize IR between bm & ww, but don't mind making it in subplot. This is America where white people are still the majority and want to dominate over everyone. To some of these white supremacist in the industry having the white main character on a popular TV show in love with a black man and going on ahead with that romance to them destroys the "American White Female Image" that those in hollywood likes to put above everyone else. Can't have IR taking over that image. They are scared to death of that.

But they are being challenged with shows like Life Sentence and Cloak & Dagger on the horizon. Remember supergirl is a highly political, liberal feminist show as well. Which goes to show that some of the females in Hollywood wants to uphold that image too. But remember it's a POPULAR tv show, POPULAR actress. That word is what Hollywood is about. So therefore the white supremacist wouldn't want to make IR between a black man and white woman... POPULAR.

and they will fight those in some way that are trying to.