The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The problem with characters like these is the fact they no one really understands them. They know what they can do, but nothing more. Readers and viewers want to live vicariously through these characters, like other heroes because they are doing things that the reader or viewer wish they were doing. I didn't see a whole lot of what was special about Wolverine besides his healing ability and courage. Other than that, Wolverine was simply a grumpy old lonely guy with super powers. As I had posted earlier about The Punisher, I think that he was inspired by author Don Pendleton's Mack Bolan: The Executioner, whom has a similar story and skill set.

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I saw Justice League today. It wasn't as great as The Avengers, but I was satisfied. I love Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. I feel bad that I missed her film, but the DVD is available. Danny Elfman is back where he belongs. Ciaran Hinds was excellent the voice of Steppenwolf. A lot of amusing moments in the film.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Going to the show tomorrow with some of the fam. Stuck right now on what to go see. Thor or Justice League. We're kind of split, but there is 5 of us going. lol.

4. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

The real problem with the Punisher and Wolverine type characters are writers breaking one of Stan Lee's early rules of writing comic book characters : "Don't give the audience what they think they want." Writers & editors now rely on fan service to push books rather than telling actual stories.

The Punisher works just fine when played as an "anti-hero" who clashes with both heroes as well as villains who pops up every now and then. Making him the center of focus in ongoing series doesn't work. Wolverine worked fine in his early X-Men days when he was played as the mysterious broody loner of the team. Once they decided to make him "the star" of the entire X-Men universe, both the character and the X-Men franchise suffered.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

When I saw Logan, I had wondered how Logan the Wolverine would adapt to the future. And I wondered how he got a daughter if he hadn't been with a woman. I wondered if he could ever die because he had lived for a long time.

The Punisher made me feel neutral about him because he has a purpose. But it was also a little boring to me because of the anti-hero angle. Unfortunately, there are too many characters like Wolverine and The Punisher. D.C. Comics even made a character like The Punisher called Mad Dog.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Haven't finished watching the Punisher. Still haven't gotten past Episode 4 but eventually will finish watching it. First time I've not been interested in binge watching a Marvel Netflix show.

The story so far is playing out well, however personally I'm just not that into the Punisher as a character overall.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I have not finished watching it, either. But it is compelling.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

10. ColiBreh1

If y'all haven't caught up on "The Punisher" yet, is it safe to say that y'all haven't started on "Marvel's The Runaways" on Hulu, right? The show debuted a week ago & nobody has made a post about be it yet.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Saw the first 3 episodes I like it

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

This.

The Gifted so far has been good as well. Lot more X-Men feel than any of the movies have been IMO.

13. ColiBreh1

Agreed. I definitely prefer "The Gifted" over the X-Men related show that airs on FX. I don't even remember WTF happened on that show during the 1st season that aired earlier this year.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Legion was good as well IMO. What made it good was the fact that they played up David Heller's schizophrenia and multiple personalities so that we don't know if everything is actually playing out in reality or in his head. Heller in the comics has hundreds of personalities, each one with a different mutant ability, so all the other mutants in the show many not actually be people but manifestations of his personalities. Only two people (or rather individual minds) that may be real are Heller and the Shadow King.

15. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

CW Arrowverse crossover;
    Night 1 - B+
    Night 2 - C

16. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Don't look now, but Marvel Studios just dropped the Avengers: Infinity War trailer. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Since it looks like the Wakandans are going to be acting as Earth's foot soldiers in the war against Thanos I hope they don't make them expendable cannon fodder.

Also, I know it's a huge longshot but since the talks of Disney buying Fox are reportedly back on the table. How cool would it be to have an X-Men or Fantastic 4 post credit scene.

18. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

brutal trailer. DC throw in the towel and start over. I don't usually cheer for the bad guy but I want to see Thanos wreck them like Superboy wreck Justice League and Teen Titans combined.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

And still better than the Justice League movie. Its like they are physically incapable of making a decent live action movie. Cartoons are stellar though

20. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Thanos: "Fun isn't something one considers when balancing the universe. But this... does put a smile on my face."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]