The Vegan Spot: Diet Tips, Skincare, Recipes, etc.

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Bliss, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"The foods served by ItalFresh are a modern take on Ital ideals, and include cauliflower florets triple dipped in a ginger beer batter with tropical slaw and jerk mango egg-free mayo; channa dal, thyme-infused beetroots, seeds, spinach and maple roasted sweet potato; and the Jerk Porty, which is an homage to Portland Parish in Jamaica where Jerk originated. The chicken or pork is substituted with Portabello Mushrooms, marinated in house jerk and seared, served over quinoa and peas."

Meet the Rastafarian vegans who ditched meat before it was cool

Those who follow the Ital diet - which stems from the Rastafarian religion developed in Jamaica during the 1930s - eat plant-based and unprocessed foods. So, like the diet of some southern Asian people, including many Jains and Hindus, the Ital diet is proto-vegan.

“Leonard Howell, one of the founding forefathers of Rastafari, was influenced by the indentured Indians on the island that didn't eat meat,” Poppy Thompson, who runs the ItalFresh pop-up food van with her partner Dan Thompson, tells The Independent.

What Dan wishes people were more concerned about is being open towards varied diets, re-thinking the amount of mass produced food they eat and the impact what they put in their bodies has on the environment.

“Eating Ital means nourishing our minds, bodies and souls with a clear conscious and being creative in the kitchen to create delicious food. We eat a varied, colourful diet. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, pulses, beans, leafy greens. Whatever a non-vegan eats we can pretty much Italise," she adds.
    “The biggest misconception is that vegan food is restrictive and boring. It's far from it, eating plant based pushes you to be more creative and inventive in the kitchen and explore foods you may have never even heard of before," says Poppy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-religion-ital-fresh-livity-jah-a7738576.html

2. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I have been slowly inching towards a vegan diet for a while now (switching whey to pea and brown rice protein powder), and amping up the fruits and vegetables. I’ve been on the vegan diet for a month now and I have to admit, it has been working wonders for my skin.

I saw this video the other day when I was missing meat. Kevin goes on to express that he didn’t really miss meat, but the seasonings and sauces that go on meat. I found that interesting. So, I figured I would share.

I decided to switch my diet drastically, not due to saving the animals or anything, but because black men have a high rate of prostate cancer, and that is something that I wish to avoid. It doesn’t seem to run in my family, but, I don’t want to be where it starts.

I stick with the diet, but I wouldn’t call myself a vegan, as I disagree with certain aspects of veganism.

My muscle mass hasn’t seemed to drop much of at all. I definitely seem to be leaning out a bit more. I think I will post any changes in this thread.

I have also decided to add skincare, shaving, and grooming techniques that I use or like just in case some of the brothas want to ensure that their black doesn't crack.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  3. meowkittenmeow

One of the things I found difficult was finding complete protein sources (as I fancy myself a bodybuilder), and b12. B12 deficiency is very common among people following a vegan diet, and such things can cause neurological disorders. Reading more about it, I found sublingual b12 supplements to be the best so far (as far as absorption goes). From what I have read, b12 absorption pulls about half into the body and the other half is wasted (this also depends on your current b12 storage currently in your body).

So, I supplement with this [​IMG]

In regards to protein supplementation, the issue with finding protein is finding complete protein sources. To further elaborate, "pea protein" misses 2 essential amino acids needed to create a complete protein. Luckily, Brown Rice has those amino acids. So, I use

[​IMG]

4. meowkittenmeow

In regards to those who use whey protein, the issue with whey is the potential for trace amounts of casien which has a link to prostate cancer. My suggestion, if you want to stick with whey protein, is to stick with whey protein isolate. It breaks down further to raw bio-available protein and limits the casein even further. Whey protein isolate is also a good source of b12.

I wanted to completely remove animal proteins from my diet, so after years of whey, I had to switch. If you are hitting the gym, a couple scoops of whey can be a good thing due to it's insulin spike causing effects, fast digestion and absorption.

I'd also like to add that I maintain broccoli as a daily food, because it is rich in nutrients needed for optimum health and performance.

I had a check up right before I started this, and will do this for 6 months (5 more months to go), and get another check up to see how far I've come along. I am kind of curious to see any possible changes in my physique as well as my body chemistry.

5. meowkittenmeow

As far as skincare I am still trying different facial washes, as many seem to dry out my skin.

I was using this
    [​IMG]

But it is a bit drying. I enjoy the toner from the same brand.

I recently watched this video, So, I plan to try the facial wash that he uses as well as the toner. Hopefully it doesn't dry out my skin.

I will put down my current skincare routine in a few hours (gotta get to the gym before it gets crowded).

6. meowkittenmeow

Alright, First things first. My workout:

Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday: Consists of running or elliptical for 1 hour. I compound that with some light sparring or heavy bag work for 30 to 45 minutes.

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: I Split my workouts up as follows...

Tuesday: Back/Chest/Core

Thursday: Thighs/Calves/Core

Saturday: Shoulder/Traps/Arms/Forearms/Core

A good article and one of the reasons why I transitioned from hitting the weights 6 days a week to 3.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/lifting-3-days-a-week-is-best

I also view my cardio days as "active rest days". My body heals after a 24 hour period, and the load on the body is different. So, long as my carbs are in check, I seem to respond well to this.

I do high volume lifts.
    Tuesday break down

Back= 3 sets of rows, 3 sets of lat pull downs, 3 sets of weighted pull ups, then 3 high rep sets of rows, 3 high rep sets of lat pull downs, 3 high rep sets of pull ups (body weight)

Chest= 3 sets of flat barbell bench, 3 sets of incline barbell bench, 3 sets of either decline or cable crossovers, then 3 sets of Flat bench dumbbells, 3 sets of incline dumbbells, and 3 sets of cable crossovers

Core= bridges, and side bridges

Thursday break down

Thighs= I warm up with 6 sets of leg extensions, 6 sets of hamstring curls, 6 sets of adduction, 3 sets of abduction. Then I do 6 sets of leg press, and 3 sets of walking lunges.

Calves= I do 6 calf raises with the smith machine, and 6 calf raises using the edge of the stairs.

Core= Lower ab exercises

Saturday break down

Shoulders= 3 sets of military press, 3 sets of side laterals, and 3 sets of rear delts

Traps= 3 sets of dumbbell shrugs, 3 sets of barbell shrugs

Triceps= 3 sets of barbell skull crushers, 3 sets of dumbbell skull crushers, 3 sets of band or cable pull downs (high reps)

Biceps= 3 sets of barbell curls, 3 sets of concentration curls, 3 sets of band or cable curls (high reps)

Forearms= 3 brachi curls, 3 forearm curls

Core= Bicycle kicks for 6 sets

I also do 9 sets of vacuum exercises a day

7. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Let me suggest black soap (the original hand-made one) and (raw, unrefined) Shea butter. It’s the best thing ever. Only in the evening though, because the Shea butter I apply afterwards is a little sticky so I let it sink in overnight. And it’s not a woman thing, men also use black soap. I discovered this on my search for effective natural, non-toxic skin care. I’m just assuming someone who’s vegan is also conscious about what to put on his skin;-)
    So yeah, everyone, feel free to call me culture appropriator or whatever, I’ll keep using my black soap and Shea butter.

8. Madeleine

I have a nut-based protein powder. Anyway, as a vegan you’ll have to be eating lots of nuts, seeds and legumes to consume enough protein, especially with your extensive exercise schedule.

9. meowkittenmeow

I get my protein from powder. It is 20 grams per scoop. I am actually going low protein high carb for my workout schedule. I am aiming to shrink from 19.6 inch arms down to about 17 so that I can go back to wearing more designer clothes. It starts to add up when every item has to be bespoke.

But, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

10. meowkittenmeow

I don’t use black soap. Or shea butter. I find Shea to be too oily.

I was using a procedure of jack black products, the facial wash, the toner, the protein serum, and the eye serum, as well as the dry erase moisturizer.

But, the accountant in me is always trying to cut costs. So, I tried what the brother in the video is doing and was actually surprised. I found that the facial wash didn’t dry me out like the jack black wash did. So, I switched, and the moisturizer isn’t much different either, so I switched. I removed the protein serum because it didn’t seem to change anything and at 36 I suppose it wouldn’t either way.

I kept the eye serum, because it does a great job.

The only “shea” products I use are shea moisture products. I also use a pomade from Joe grooming.

As far as shampoo, if I need something heaving, I use a shampoo and conditioner from Molton Brown, and if I need lighter, I use a “natural hair” Cantu shampoo.

My lip balm is from Coola “30 spf”, and I use various molton brown body washes. Although I am aiming to try a tobacco body wash by “man made”.

I also switched toner and it seems to be easier on my skin.

11. Madeleine

Shea moisture has some nice stuff. I bought some products for my boys’ hair last time I was in the US.
    I used to use La Roche-Posay (French pharmacy brand) but after moving to an area with very harsh water due to high limestone content I had to find a different solution for my skin. I use the black soap/Shea butter combo at night and Nuxe (another French pharmacy brand) in the morning. I also like to keep jojoba oil and rose hip oil around for my face. I don’t do serums, eye cream etc (yet).

12. meowkittenmeow

I am familiar with La Roche, they sell it in the U.S. with a crazy mark up, lol.

I’m sorry to hear about the limestone. Water can be tricky. Have you tried using a water filter? And as far as eye creams go, they work well. I never used them in my youth, but now that I’m older, I figure it is something I can use to stay pretty.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

14. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Wow, Bliss. When you put it that way...

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Dominick Thompson, Vegan, Athlete, Animal Activist
    IMG_20191019_075915.jpg

Here is his gorgeous face. IMG_20191019_104553.jpg

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You tried any of the Vegan foods that mimic meats like the impossible burger?

17. meowkittenmeow

I meant to, but never got around to it. I went back to eating meat, as you already know.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I just recently started. Had a buffalo chicken wrap today. It was ok. Had the impossible burger yesterday. That was actually good. It won't completely stop me from eating burgers, but when I'm not in the mood for beef and don't feel like making a turkey burger, it will suffice.

Btw. There is a stink about it from "moms across america" saying it tested positive for glyphosate but it was only 1.3 micrograms and california epa regulation (known for being strict) is at a 1100 microgram daily limit. Just fyi. I ate it after knowing.

19. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I love the vegan diet my love got me on. Those impossible whopper burgers are good, but I like Amy's quarter pounder veggie burgers better whenever I want to eat a sandwich like that.
    [​IMG]

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Haven't tried it at burger king. I went to a vegan spot. Might try Amy's one day but I'm more likely to do a turkey burger if I actually cook.

The unspoken rule about burger king is to never ever go to one in the "hood". LOL