Car talk

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by goodlove, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Just had to look up the Tesla as I've never seen one before (UK) looks a bit like a Chrysler Neon at the front, anyway had a look and we apparently have one dealership in the UK lol very impressive for an electric car but it only comes with a 50,000 mile warranty which is pretty tight imo but apparently the battery has an 8 year warranty (but obviously does that vanish once you get to 50,000 in mileage) and they cost over 72,000 pounds here with no extras so they aren't giving them away.

The Ford looks like a Mondeo to me, I've owned a few different versions of it, always good cars and comfortable.

2. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

The demand for Tesla vehicles is insanely high. A few months ago they announced their "affordable" model to come and tons of people put down $1000 deposits for the model 3 which is like 2-3 years away.

Yes, the Ford Fusion is sold as the Ford Mondeo on the European market.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

A guy that goes to my gym has a Godzilla and does not agree that It gives you the same control as a manual. He just confirmed what I initially thought.

I know that anytime you have to change the gears electronically the ecu has the ultimate control over your gearing based on rpm. Thought that Nissan still may have somehow programmed it to give you full control but apparently they didn't. Not surprised tho. Has anyone here test driven one yet?

I have a crush on the manual Z06.

6. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The new Z car is expected to have a twin turbo charged 3.0 with 475bhp all wheel drive and six speed manual transmission. Can't wait to see the body.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

My dream car would be something mid-engine awd manual 6+ speed in which you could specify how much power you want to go to the front vs back wheels. Powerful twin turbo V8 with good handling. Top speed at least 180mph.

Something the the manufacturer didn't purposely make difficult to work on. I shouldn't need special tools that are only available to the people that built it.

So far I'm thinking Porsche may come the closest. Haven't worked on one tho.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

For sports cars both mid-engine and rear-engine >>>>>>> front engine set up.

10. DudeNY12

I wasn't crazy about rear engine as it was easy for that rear end to get away, but I hear it's much more tame nowadays. I kinda wish the C8 'Vette would've had a manual tranny option, but I guess i'll be the last of the stick-shift faithful to come over.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Good point. You would have to take a test drive to make sure the engineers got it right. Here is a video that I think you would appreciate. Which rear-engine car did you drive?

12. DudeNY12

Great video! Thanks for posting I. personally can't speak too much on it as I've driven only 2 rear engine cars. One was my uncle's old VW Beetle which I won't count as I was a teen at the time, and it totally was lacking in power. The second was a friend's mid-90s Porsche 911. I didn't push it too much but enough that I can see what the owner (and the guy in the video) was saying about having most of the weight on the rear axle.

Ideally, I'd take one of those high performance driving courses (which is a bucket list item for me) and I'd certainly want to try a rear engined car in both RWD and AWD as well as front engined cars in both RWD and AWD.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Anytime fam. I was looking into the DIY maintenance and so far there doesn't seem to be any issues. Audi was the manufacturer that I heard try to make things difficult on purpose.

I'm all the way with you on the manuals and was disappointed about the vette C8.

There's more research to be done but so far Porsche is looking like the best fit for what I'm looking for.

I love the idea of being able to adjust how much torque you want to go to the front vs back on an AWD. To me that's huge.

A high performance driving course sounds like it could be fun and worth while. I may look into that too.

For front engine sports cars mind you that the new Z (400?) is supposed to be AWD and more powerful due to factory turbo, but we will see.

14. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Audi, brought you by the Volkswagen parts bin.

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Sucks for them. Volkswagen doesn't even build sports cars lol.

16. meowkittenmeow

Volkswagen owns Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Just saw that, you trolled me lol. So I just have to check the quality after 2012. Hopefully they allowed the experienced people to stay on.

I'll try to research Chief engineers ect

18. meowkittenmeow

Volkswagen makes a solid product and the kept all of the quality on. My issue with the Audi is the focus on technology affects the reliability of the product. It kind of reminds me of a rolls Royce, it’s basically a 4 year old BMW engine with 3 year old tech in it. But, it’s bespoke and time tested. It’s like Apple’s old model. They weren’t the first to do something, they would wait for the thing to mature enough, use the highest end parts, and sell it at astronomical prices.

Porsche, Bugatti, etc. are still perfectly fine, I just feel like Audi was really catching up to BMW at the beginning of the last decade, and I just have a few gripes about it.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That's good to hear.

I know nothing about the manufacturers that don't make sports cars. It's the only type of car i'll buy, except for Honda. I like them for travel because they can take the mileage and they are easy to fix. Almost everything fits 10mm.

After basic troubleshooting it's plug and play.

20. meowkittenmeow

I’d never get past the road noise on a Honda. They can be fun to drive, but that road noise is gross. I like a quiet solid build.