Slavic and german girls with black man

Discussion in 'The International Perspective' started by John Manson, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Hypestyle

Hypestyle New Member

:smt004

So what kind of jobs/business interests do people have where they get to go to these exotic places?

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Teaching is one profession. Business ventures is another. I had once tried to join the Peace Corps. The Peace Corps is an organization that recruits and trains people who are teachers, administrators, doctors and nurses, architects, construction supervisors and engineers. These individuals are trained in cultural immersion before going to the country they are assigned to. But it's not that easy. They have to pass the cultural immersion phase before going to the next phase. I have a degree in criminal justice. That wasn't enough. The Peace Corps wants leaders first and foremost. But the these leaders have to do this from the perspective of the host country and not from the American perspective. This is why the Peace Corps is called in the advertising, "The toughest job you'll ever love." Peace Corps volunteers are assigned to a host country for around 2 1/2 years(that can be cut short in the event of a natural disaster or civic unrest), they live with a family or a small apartment with no running water or little electricity. If a volunteer is married, the spouse goes, too. The Peace Corps has posts in Africa, SE Asia, Central Europe(including Armenia), South and Central America, the Carribean, China and Mongolia. I would've loved to have been selected to go.

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

A brother who works for the PC in the Eastern Euro countries would be one lucky man.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That is after passing the immersion course. After that, the volunteer goes to the village they are assigned to to work many hours every day. In Eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine, there are running black outs and plumbing issues in an apartment building. Volunteers also report to an officer where they can collect mail, known stores in which basically supplies like soap, deodorant, food and toothpaste(care packages from home can also be picked up at the centers). A lot of times volunteers just get together in town for socializing and sharing stories about their experiences. If a volunteer is sent to China, they live in a college dorm room. Sometimes a volunteer would have a serious relationship with a local citizen. I had once saw a documentary about the first Peace Corps volunteers who were sent to Africa. One white female volunteer stated that she had a brief romance with an African-American man while she was there. It's possible after a few months to a year.

5. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Duly noted jay. Thanks for sharing your wisdom

6. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Soulthinker, thanks. I just ran a google search on him and found him on this forum as well as another. He seems to know his stuff. I'll read up some more on him. Yeah a teaching gig would be nice, but I really want to learn to make money remotely, so that teaching would be a sort of "pasttime" and not my main source of income overseas.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Have you thought about being a day trader? What did you study in college?

8. Soulthinker

Hope you can Guychoy.

9. guychoy

guychoy New Member

Beasty, I have thought about it and purchased a Forex course. Still haven't finished it. I studied foreign languages.

10. jayisshowtime

jayisshowtime New Member

find a way to get over there. i will say this: make sure you want to do it for all the right reasons. a lot of cats get over here, start working, and absolutely hate it. it becomes a grind because it isn't what they want to do, really and truly. in other words, doing the same shit they were doing back in the states or wherever they came from.

i will say, there are opportunities to venture off into other things, making an additional source of income (e.g., online). again, it is about making good connections with folk to point you in the right direction. since asia is in the vicinity, a lot of business is conducted between asian and slavic/euro countries. for example, i work with folk who are trying to get fit (i run/enjoy fitness, so i don't get burnt out).

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I hear you. I studied the usual Spanish and now French. Deciding what will be next will not be an easy choice.

Russian is probably tough due to aspects and how you must stress certain sounds. German seems to be tough due to word order and I don't really like how long the words are. Sometimes I wonder do the fun in learning languages end with the romance group.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Try Portuguese or Italian. Gaelic is pretty tough and so is Castilian Spanish.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I love Italian almost as much as I love French. Portuguese could possibly be next. Brazil is attractive for potential business and travel. There is enough time for me to contemplate my decision but I must do so while considering whats best for my near future vs my wants. Sometimes I like to learn for the pleasure of learning itself but such desires must be balanced with personal and professional goals intelligently.

It may just be about time for me to take my medicine so to speak. In that case I'm looking at German or Russian. Russian because it makes sense to know at least one eastern European language. German because it's a good economic language and Germany has a pro business culture.

Ideally, studying Italian would be a treat or reward that I must earn by being decisive and disciplined enough to tackle another language first.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I need to learn Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian and French. Maybe German and Polish.

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Japanese is fun in the early stages, but i never got serious enough to really dig into the nuts and bolts of it, so I don't really know the tough side. Just know that the general consensus is that it's even harder than Russian.

Take your coat off for Mandarin, I'll salute you when you finish it. It's tonal which makes it exceptionally tricky and difficult.

You have quite the ambitious list list.

Maybe you should start with Spanish due to your location and the fact that it's the easiest language up there. Even French is more difficult, but it's fun. People that know Spanish can understand people that know Italian. That's another reason why Italian is a bonus language imo.

My take on difficulty from hardest to easiest excluding Cantonese, Polish and Portuguese.

1.) Mandarin
    2.) Japanese
    3.) Russian
    4.) German
    5.) French
    6.) Italian
    7.) Spanish

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Don't forget Gaelic. That is also considered to be a difficult language to learn. But it is spoken in Ireland. I remember hearing it in films like The Quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, and the giant monster classic Gorgo. Pronouncing Irish names is a challenge.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I have absolutley no knowledge of that language, doubt I will consider learning it.

The furthest I will go is to add Russian, German, Portuguese, Italian and perhaps Catalan to my knowledge of French and Spanish. I like Catalan, it's a fun romance language that I may learn in my free time for the fun of it.

18. jayisshowtime

jayisshowtime New Member

german can be easy depends on how much you write and speak it. i studied german and speak and write it with a good friend of mine. the most difficult parts (in my opinion) are verb conjugations: laufen (run) ich laufe (i run) wir laufen (we run) and use of the article (the, a) in the right case: nominative, dative, and accusative - but when speaking, making a mistake with these are ok because a native speaker will still understand you. hell, many native german speakers make this mistake as well there are a few other tidbits as well in regards to perplexity in german.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Sounds great. Your perspective is very much appreciated. German will probably be next for me. I'm looking at the possibility of spending a summer in Europe before I finish school and German seems to be a more logical course of study due to the proximity of France. Getting exposure to both cultures while I'm there would seem to be the best use of time and approach to becoming proficient in both languages. Hopefully in the meantime I can find a German class at a different school so I can learn some of it without risking my gpa. lol

20. Soulthinker

Are you White or mixed?