Random media commentary

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Dec 6, 2014.

1. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Yep, after they drove the French out, they went across the entire island and ultimately occupied the Dominican half for years, but went too far, forcing the use of French instead of Spanish, etc. It built up some resentment and then the Dominicans had an openly racist mixed-race president (Trujillo) who massacred thousands of Haitians in the mountains and practiced a policy of whites-only immigration (similar to Australia) during the 20th century. And to top it all off, both were significantly manipulated by the US and invaded a couple of times. It's a mess.

Yeah, I've done mostly lobbying and legislative analysis, but have done several local, state and federal campaigns. But most of the time you help get them elected and then have to swallow it when they do something effed up and it sort of just sticks in your craw. During my time in the Daley administration I had a lot of that.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

As someone of Caribbean decent this shit just makes me sick. It literally makes me want to shy away from everyone. This is the stuff that makes me feel so much more at home in places like Canada or the Netherlands and other parts of Western Europe. I literally can't think of anything more exhausting than having to think about your skin tone and how it relates to your life or death. Smfh

3. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Make sure you give me a Kimye update. Lol

I know it sounds crazy, but this ish reminds me of our African origins and humanity. No matter the language, religion or culture, we have some common experiences in the Diaspora as well as some things we have in common with people on the continent. Our ongoing perseverance in the face of this adversity is one of the most admirable survival stories ever. It also makes me think of what is possible when we put our minds to it. We have to defeat racism, but in doing so, we're going to transcend and reach new heights. As lousy as things are now, these are just evolutionary steps as we move forward.

What you said here should be cause for hope. People aren't going to just take this forever. It's hard to get people to focus, but when they do, it's like a sleeping giant. We just have to keep doing our part to raise awareness.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Using the internet right can surely cut the tv out the way. The news really dont give bernie any air but hes still making noise.

5. The Dark King

Pretty much

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I would hope it would give a person a chance to get their name and message out without having to spend a lot if money and beholden to big business

7. The Dark King

Like Orejon said it does give me hope. This election cycle has more people with mobile devices than ever before so people are constantly connected and can actually here dude speak hear his message and most importantly check his record.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

True true.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Looked for a thread on it, but couldn't find one..anyone watch The Haves and Have Nots, series, by Tyler Perry?...
    Interesting, to say the least.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Two entertainment tid-bits today..

Chris Rock just confessed that Actress Kerry Washington was his mistress and they were fucking for 6 months on the Movie set ‘I Think I Love My Wife’ about him, ironically, having fantasies of cheating on his wife) ...This went down while he was married and his wife found out. "There was no gray area" he said.

Damn...she's married w kids now...should Chris have spilled the tea so many years later?

-------
    Nas has been quietly dating Nicki Minaj for 3 months and have now come out as a couple...

[​IMG]

Her friends say she's in love.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  11. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Oh for real??!! This is a come up for Nicki. Nas has been real smart with his money & doesn't even need to make music or go on tour anymore. He's basically an entrepreneur/investor now.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yeah, he hocks French Cognac, too. Did you ever see the his interview about it on YT and the commercial?

Lucky Nicki, btw.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

14. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

^Loool and apparently he's supposed to be the resident 'liberal'.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Read this comment review on Tupac All Eyez on Me movie..

"I am a big Tupac fan. I am fairly certain I own 90% of his music catalog. However, I could never classify myself as a rap/hip hop fan.
    However, I am a music aficionado and both Tupac and Biggie Smalls were just incredibly talented. I didn't feel the need to particularly be a "Hip Hop Head".
    I enjoyed the two music videos director Benny Boom created for Keyshia Cole's last album.
    However, Mr. Boom's feature film directorial debut is a bust.
    The scenes featuring Jada Pinkett's relationship and friendship with Tupac are fairly pedestrian and not particularly damaging to her.
    Still, maybe Ms. Pinkett-Smith just simply doesn't want to be associated with this poorly done effort.
    Mr. Shipps physical likeness is almost a negative to me playing as a caricature until the 2nd half when Mr. Shipps subtly begins to transform and emulate the great Tupac.
    The screenwriter and director makes a couple of seemingly insignificant linguistic errors which further hurts this movie's credibility.
    The use of the word "scrub" and the phrase, "you feel me" are constructs of mid-90s hip hop lingo. In "All Eyez on Me", they are used in scenes from the late 80s.
    Several critic reviews claim that the White characters, particularly the police, were cardboard portrayals. Sorry, those reviewers appear to certainly NOT be at all in touch with the indisputable fact that the police then AND now are brutal, thuggish racists that continue to display cruel, often unjust brutality to people of color.
    Some reviewers complained that the concert scenes all seem to be confined to mid-size clubs. That is primarily true. Few hip hop artists performed in arenas. Huge hip hop tours in arenas and even stadiums did not happen until after the millennium. Hip hop icons like Jay Z, Eminem, L.L. Cool J, Beastie Boys didn't begin playing with real musicians and production until the last 5-7 years. Now Jay Z., Drake, Kanye West, Nicki Manji now can sellout arena tours.
    Despite Tupac's massive sales, his "House of Blues"/Hollywood remains the best representation of his stage skills and charisma.
    "Notorious" and "Straight Outta Compton" raised the bar. So much so, I had really hoped that "All Eyez on Me" would have served Tupac's legacy like the many movies about The Beatles or The Supremes.
    Lifetime has done better with their television biopic of Whitney, Mikki Howard and even talentless Spitney Fears."

16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I knew this movie was gonna be bad over a year ago. Dude on another forum dropped this info back in April 2016:

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh wow. He foresaw correctly.
    Jada Pinket is pissed too...says that wasn't how they related as a couple.
    Anyway, it's getting universally panned.

18. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

So, everyone is tripping over themselves to see the Tupac movie. But, "Birth Of A Nation" got crickets.

And you wonder why we get the kinds or black films we get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Since @ColiBreh1 's thread was closed, l will put this here..

Jesse Williams is going to COURT and to E! News –...

Here’s what Jesse told E!

“Aryn restricts my time with the children and decides when, and for how long I may have them. She has rejected, without any reason, each and every request I have made to have the children sleep over at my residence,” Jesse alleges in documents. “On the few days that I have the children, Aryn has insisted that my time with the children be limited during the week to approximately two and half hours per day, despite my requests for more time, including overnights with the children.”

He added, “I am therefore requesting a court order for a joint physical custody parenting plan…”

Jesse later goes on to proclaim that he has “always been an active, involved, ‘hands-on’ dad” to his two children.

------------
    I HATE when spouses use children as pawns in divorces. Let those kids spend time with their father.

20. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

We have a winner