5 Languages or less, which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by jaisee, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

Swahili
    Amharic
    Arabic
    Japanese
    Chinese

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

no English? lol Just noticed the same with TDK :smt042

3. Kushton Slater

Kushton Slater New Member

Spanish (im learning now), english, portuguese, italian, and jamaican patois(or any other language that isnt widely spoken)

4. Kushton Slater

Kushton Slater New Member

Mandarin? Cantonese? Etc.

5. Sirius Dogon

Sirius Dogon New Member

Cantonese

6. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

That's really interesting! I would love to hear how English sounds to a someone whose first language isn't English :)

7. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Wha gwan my yute :-D

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Bruce Lee style. I can dig it

9. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Spanish
    English
    Mandarin
    For business purpose.

Then for fun:
    Portuguese
    Japanese

10. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

English
    Spanish (I'd like to learn this, seems quite useful)
    French (I did French in secondary school, don't use it, cant remember much)
    German (some years ago I did a level 2 OCR in this and where I've had no occassion to use it, Its nearly all gone, yet I have class recordings of me doing a bang up job :()

Patois, would be useful, trying it now with my partner, I have things like salop poppy show (said like papishon)down pat now lol

I would choose something I was going to use, if it's not used, you lose it.

11. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

English (be born as a non native speaker who learns it), when you speak it already it makes you less apt to learn others, given its global prevelance

French - Its a language I am already pretty advanced in, but with all languages it requires deep immersion to master it.

German - ditto French scenario, took German in college and had a quick grasp of it very easily. Love the long words in German that are joined together such as

Übernachtungsmöglichkeiten (Overnight accommodation possibilities)

Rechtsschutzversicherungsgesellschaften (Insurance companies legal representation)

Siebentausendzweihundertvierundfünfzig (7,254)

LOL, a long time ago some Germanic tribes decided hey lets put a bunch of individual words together and get to the point in one word, gotta love German

Italian - find it to be a very beautiful language. "Chi trova un'amico, trova un tesoro" - one who finds a friend finds a treasure.

Brazilian Portuguese - much different sounding than European Portuguese, plus I love reading about Afro-Brazilian culture and history.

Honorable mentions to the Scandinavian languages and Icelandic, love the landscape of Iceland, very ethereal and inspiring place of natural beauty.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  12. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

English - it's widely spoken

Italian - because then I can live in Italy :D

Latin - I've always wanted to learn that language

Egyptian Hieroglyphics - as soon as he said visual languages, I was all over that. LOL.

German - because I love the sound of that language (for some odd known reason) and it's actually on my To Do List to learn.

:smt023

13. EatYourBooks

EatYourBooks New Member

1) English - If you're trying to get from point A to point B in a developed country, English is your best chance at a common language.

2) Spanish - Common, useful.

3) French - See reasons for Spanish.

4) Mandarin - See Spanish and French.

5) Icelandic - Wildly different from other languages, ergo, interesting and useful in its own way.

14. whikle

whikle Well-Known Member

*waits for Jaisee to return and explain all* :smt061

15. newblackman88

newblackman88 Member

English, Spanish, French, Italian, Mandarin

16. christine dubois

christine dubois Well-Known Member

:smt043:smt043..the longest word in German

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetzesenturfsdebattierklubdiskussionsstandsberichterstattungsgeldantragsformular

..but it's a joke, this piece of paper doesn't exist

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  17. GQ Brotha

GQ Brotha New Member

LOL. My approach as a native English speaker is to try and break up the long German words into its individual parts as quickly as possible and thus be able to pronounce it.

18. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...too many to choose from...

English- it's widely known/used. I also like that there are so many words/phrases with many different usages & meanings, which makes it somewhat interesting IMO.

Spanish- it's practical and I like the way it sounds. I'm not fluent by any means (thanks to the 'use it or lose it' law of nature), but it's not a difficult to use or follow once you've got its rules down.

Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek (yeah, I know it's three languages, but they are all for the same purpose)- it would be awesome to be able to read the original bible and its early translations.

Body language/Facial expressions- useful for communication and for reading/understanding people.

Athabaskan- a Native American language that would be interesting to learn. Although I don't know yet what my NA heritage is, I've been told by some family members that it's Apache. Whatever it is, I'd like to learn the language.

There are many other languages I'd like to learn for different reasons, but I've reached my limit for the thread.

19. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

Strangely, Latin was one of the languages I chose in high school. We could do french, Indonesian...I did great in both, btw, but my parents were breaking up when I was 15 and I had 3 years in Latin, French and Indonesian and school gave me a choice, and my mum said Latin was a dead language and not useful, so I spent a year learning Latin.

Yay me and my duck you

20. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

You little rebel, you! LOL.

But Latin isn't totally dead. We still use it for species classifications. LOL. And also sayings like E Pluribus Unum, etc. :smt023