Katy Perry's Swish Swish Video

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Luvu2Death, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

I'm don't care really for pop music, but this music video was super funny. When I saw Katy don her new Miley-esque hairdo with Migos weeks ago I had my doubts, but it's really brilliant how she's marketing her music. Terry Crews also looks glorious in that blonde wig LOL.

[​IMG]

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Did that single with Migos flop or nah?

3. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

It did pretty well peaking at #59 on the Billboard 100 and has over 250 Million views on YouTube.

4. ColiBreh1

I see it also peaked at #38 on the Billboard Mainstream Top 40/Pop Songs Chart. For a Pop superstar like Katy Perry, that single with Migos was a flop. It didn't even make the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100.

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Cool video. Just wished she adds some IR in it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Mainstream white female artist in america still try to stay away from that. Especially involving them.

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Just Black culture and decorations.

8. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Yeah, her whole album is performing badly. For a star of her stature, this looks like the beginning of the end. The album itself was just "okay." No real strong singles. Just a bunch of half way decent album cuts. So, it's not surprising that she's not doing well this time out.

I think Dr. Luke's Ke$ha drama had him off his game and that hurt her project. At least she got a hit singing the hook on Calvin Harris's "Feels." So, she ain't totally out, yet.

9. Denny G

Denny G New Member

But are only too happy to collaborate with rappers for their credibility when it helps their career.

10. blackbull1970

blackbull1970 Well-Known Member

If her albums ain't selling....don't be surprised when she hooks up with Dr. Dre and has a album full of collaborations with hip hop artists

Dr. Dre had a line talking about that in "Forget About Dre" with Eminem.

Mariah Carey did that and it boosted her career big time.

11. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

White female musicians are much more likely to have black male or non-white love interests in their videos (and in their real life relationships) than white actresses are in their films (and especially in their real life relationships). That includes Katy Perry who had an actual black boyfriend early on in her career.

12. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Haven't liked a Katy Perry song "I Kissed a Girl". Still in her defense she has hip-hop artists in her songs a few times previously, even when she was at peak popularity.

As for this latest bomb on an album...success is fleeting for pop stars who have had great sales for years despite putting out forgettable pop music. Eventually it catches up to you. It even happens to artists who are truly iconic and made groundbreaking music (Prince's sales kept declining steeply after every album following Purple Rain). There comes a time for most in which fans outgrow you or find your music stale and thus you become less relevant, sometimes overnight. And with that comes a decline in sales. Typically it is not THIS abrupt considering Perry's last album still sold well. But this shit still happens all the time, Unless you keep growing or have the best and most fresh music producers on your side, this plunge is bound to happen. It could happen to Taylor Swift or Rhianna in the next few years. If Perry doesn't recover by the next album her time as an elite draw will be officially over.

13. ColiBreh1

Did this "Swish Swish" joint flop too? I watch the top 10 countdown of the Bilboard Hot 100 on Billboard's official YouTube channel every week & I haven't seen this song make the Top 10 either. It felt like this joint came & went just like the previous single with Migos.

14. samson1701

46 on the Hot 100. And 33 on the Pop Songs chart. It did reach #1 on the Dance Clubs Songs Charts.

She needs to get back with Dr. Luke ASAP.

15. ColiBreh1

Can we go back to talking about white/non-black pop stars needing Rappers as features on their songs?

We talked about Camila Cabello's current hit in another thread a couple months ago:

[​IMG] But look at this music video that Taylor Swift just dropped in the last couple hours:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  16. samson1701

So, now Taylor Swift is that down-ass Urban white chick? ...lol

Nice song, though. I might actually bump this. And, I've never liked anything from her but her pictures. Would've been better with Katy Perry.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. ColiBreh1

SMFH. So I guess doing experimental Pop & Country Pop and even throwing Hip-Hop under the bus didn't work out for Miley Cyrus. So now she's coming back again with a Urban sound:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  18. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

She kept it on hold in case she needed it. lol.

19. samson1701

Sell out ass producers. Fuck Miley. Black music isn't something you can try on, then diss when you want to be taken seriously.

20. ColiBreh1

She's working with Producer Mike Will Made-It again: