New Years Superstitions

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by CAkicker, Jan 1, 2018.

1. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

Hey everybody,

With 2018 coming or for some it's already here, there's been a lot of superstitions going on about what to do or not to do on New Years. What superstitions have you heard? My mom said, you don't wash your clothes on New Year's day or you'll wash someone out your family. What have you heard?

Happy New Year

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Have money on you going into the New Year and you'll have good luck all next year. lol.

3. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I have heard that one too. <3

4. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

There are weird ones here about the first person to enter your home after midnight on January 1st. They should not be a resident, and can't be in the house at the stroke of midnight, they have to bring a lump of coal with them and various other stuff for good luck.
    It's called first-footing. There seem to be a few different versions. I don't think anybody really does it any more.

5. Reverie

Hmm, never heard that one before. I need to check the lore.

6. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-foot
    I remember when I was little all the neighbours would get together just after midnight and go around first-footing each others houses.
    They never bothered with the coal or any of that other stuff though.
    I didn't realise it was just a northern thing. I live in the South now and nobody around here does it so I thought it just died out.

7. Reverie

Cool.