BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Lol get real, it’s Opera (BW’s superman) they won’t even look at this.

2. Btw, not BM/WW related but a perfect example of bw selective outrage is with Runaways (I haven’t seen it and don’t plan to) there’s a black kid as the leader but there’s a plot twist and some messed up stuff happens in the comics that might happen in the show idk but if it DOES happen? Watch bw not talk about it or care lol but if it was a black chick in that scenario........

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

So I had "Star" on in the background tonight again (S02E07):

[​IMG] @darkcurry @JamalSpunky 1 of the main storylines is shit we've talked about on this forum before.

Luke James' character Noah is an R&B star. His record label boss lady is getting on him for being romantically involved with Star because as we've talked about numerous times on this forum, it's a NO-NO for a black male R&B star with a mostly black fanbase to be dating a non-BW, ESPECIALLY a WW.

So I guess his label boss is trying to push him towards Star's darkskin black bandmate Alex (Who already is already dating Quincy Brown's character) because it would be better for his image. So now based on the promo for next week's episode we got a full on triangle:

4. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

5. beeehave

beeehave Active Member

It's funny how you mentioned black male r&b stars dating non-black women is a no no. Luke James dated British singer Jessie J for few months back in 2014.

I wonder how it felt for the exes when they performed together (with Ro James, no relation) at the recent Soul Train Awards.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

7. ColiBreh1

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

But is he wrong? That shit was 100% on point. Seriously can you think of any good loving relationships with a black man in it these days?

9. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree with the brotha lol. How were Dixon & Ivy portrayed after the S2 finale of "90210"? I've NEVER . . .NOT EVER seen a prominent successful "Black & Blonde" teen relationship on any show before "DIVY" so RRKS the executive producer has Dixon violate his core values and abandon Ivy (a prime prospect for predators) in AUSTRALIA for 91 nights of negligence . . . Dixon's duty to defend her from dangers clear & present be DAMNED!!!!
    They evolved into a ratings asset and potential power couple by the S2 finale and surely would grow stronger thru the summer in AUSTRALIA. Damn RRKS damn her immortal soul to hello for insulting our intelligence with such character & personality violation of a once great black character

10. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Things look like they are getting better though. Weathering the storm a bit. We will see with these future IR relationships on screen now and others to come in 2018 with Cloak and Dagger and Life Sentence.

11. ColiBreh1

I felt he was bit off when he disscussed "Rosewood" & "Marvel's Jessica Jones", but the rest of the video was spot on.

I don't remember anybody in this thread mentioning Brian J. White's IR on USA Network's "Colony", so that's a new one I just learned about.

12. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

This is why there has to be either writers who are braver than most to have full control over their own stories or a new independent network has to be established.

13. Young Herschel

This theory was NEVER more compelling than in the example of "Dixon & Ivy"!!!!
    It was well established that Dixon had tremendous protective instincts as a boyfriend during the initial six week airing of the 90210 reboot\spinoff in S1 when they had network record ratings for the CW. He kept a watchful eye on his new girlfriend Silver and even punched a potential pedophile in the jaw episode 6 . . . Dixon was a DYFS kid from NYC via Wichita so he had already learned life lessons about abusive adults who prey on adolescents ok? He would instinctively be on full alert with his new girlfriend Ivy because they're in an unfamiliar place (AUS) and there is no one else in Ivy's life who can provide the physical, masculine detterant to teen sex traffickers and other sexual deviants he could!!
    All they want is a window of weakness so they can drug her drink and drag her off to the outback .. ..

. . they don't need 91 minutes and Dixon gave them 91 days and nights (SMDH).
    Dixon's decision led to absolute calamity for his status as a main character on 90210 and it was a unbelievable violation of his core values

RRKS wanted to drive " Divy" into the dirt and diminish Dixon then neuter this negro. . . . then gave his his beautiful blonde girlfriend to secondary characters to fuck while he underwent a two year drought

14. ColiBreh1

[​IMG] I just found out that VH1's "The Breaks" was cancelled a couple weeks ago:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bet-scraps-plans-breaks-season-2-1060169

15. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

Deleted

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  16. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

Way too much "bait and switch" going on with BM/WW ir.

-Marcus (BM) and Heather (WW) characters develop attraction.

-Marcus and Heather flirt, and story seems to progress slowly toward relationship.

-Build up to relationship takes 3,249 episodes.

-Right before (or shortly into relationship) Cody (WM) swoops in out of nowhere.

-Cody and Heather develop instant (chemistry).

-The build up to Marcus and Heather's relationship took 3,249 episodes. Their romance lasts 2 1/2 episodes.

-After only 3 episodes Cody has Heather bent over a pool table as Marcus mostly disappears from the story.

There are of course other variations of this scenario. I've seen BM characters vanish from shows, inexplicably lose interest in the woman, suddenly
    go crazy or the writers plant a corny excuse into the plot in order to facilitate a break up later in the script.

Lately show writers seem fond of the method of sudden amnesia where they simply drop the ir storyline and pretend it never happened. I call this "the
    Supergirl" method.

Sidenote- In the trailer for Jessica Jones season 2 she's now with some other dude. Yet another bait and switch.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  17. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Well on the supergirl finale they put James Olsen and Lena Luthor together. It lead to them making out in his office. I still would of love to see him back with Lucy Laine. But if you seen the mid-season finale notice the chemistry between James and Lena and compare that with the chemistry between him and Lucy and now compare both of those with the chemistry between him and Kara. It's like I said these writer and directors purposely wrote their chemistry to be flat. They didn't even try, which be the case with some of these IR relationships involving black men.

And to be fair with JJ I think like @Ra said that they are building up to that relationship and taking it slow, I just hope they don't take it too slow. Luke is off with Claire, so Jessica could be trying to move on(and SHOULD if they are putting Luke with somebody else for the time being.). Plus that guy looks either latino or middle eastern so it could be another IR hook up for Jessica which is good because it keeps the show different from other shows on TV like they did with a RARE sex scene on TV between a black man and a white woman and made it super hot.

Besides there was CLEARLY feelings between them on The Defenders especially in that bar scene so I don't think this one is a bait and switch.

18. Young Herschel

Who are "Marcus & Heather"? Some pics or a link please would be helpful. What tv show were they on? Were they detailed in another thread as "Divy" was?

Were they just a hypothetical interracial tv couple lol???

19. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

I stopped watching Supergirl a while back so I can't comment much on what's happening now. I had some interest when Jimmy and Kara were building something. Once the writers flaked on their relationship i tuned out. To be honest, if they're going to be this corny about IR relationships i'd prefer if they just didn't bother (re: James and Kara) .
    The whole build up to nothing, then toss her to the white guy thing is getting tired.

I hope they don't take it so slow that the show finishes it's run before they get back together.

Putting Luke with the Claire is just a way of writing him further away from JJ's character. And I don't think Jessica would be moving on to anyone if Luke was a WM. She'd be kept busy on her adventures until the WM version of Luke returned. I'm sure she'd also be "too damaged and troubled to connect to anyone but Luke". But since Luke is black, another man conveniently pops up in season 2 who "gets her". LoL Guarantee you won't see Ironfist's girl Colleen or Karen Page from the Punisher banging some other dude in his absence. Especially if it didn't happen in the comic.

No offense to anyone, but i'm completely unimpressed with WW/Latino or WW/Arab or any other (man of color) IR coupling as real progress, especially if they're REPLACING A BLACK MAN. If anything it seems a cop out. Asian guys being a notable exception to this of course.

And btw, if they want to keep the show different from other shows, heres one way they could do it----

Have Luke Cage with Jessica Jones get together (as they did). And then DO NOT BREAK them up. Let them hit bumps in the road, have their adventures, and work through them without breaking apart. That would be very different because we rarely see it with BM/WW pairings. Creative writers can easily do this. Instead, they either make the IR relationship so fragile that someone steps on a crack in the sidewalk and the couple has to split. Or they use the Hancock method and write in some lame plot device that dooms the relationship from jump.

I've lost count of the times the BM/WW characters clear feelings amounted to nothing in the end. It seems in all these shows the BM/WW relationships are approached like the writers are pulling teeth. Lots of foot dragging. You get a whole bunch of seasons and episodes with very minimal screen time given to the couple. Of course there will always be an excuse written in.

Maybe they'll reconnect, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if they didn't. Time will tell i guess.

20. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

Yep. Hypothetical.