BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I and others on here have always made it clear it is a specific group of bw we talk about. It is just that sometimes we don't always type out the specific group of bw, because we all know who we are talking about. If that makes sense.

I feel the way you do about just being into WW a lot more. And supporting IR in movies and tv shows.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Cosign

Funny thing though they have no problem hating us.
    Been seeing more and more YouTube videos where the subject is telling black women to stay away from bm because
    "We don't build nothing or protect nothing"
    Yet we supposedly date outside of the community all the time. So apparently they don't need to stay away from us

3. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

As far as I know nobody hate black women here.

4. Okay, I was wrong then.

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Actually no, white women don't get all of anything. No one group does to be fair. TV has embraced diversity even more rapidly than movies so there is a whole lot more inclusion. Film is catching up too. On TV black women currently only trail behind white men and white women in terms of being lead characters of a series. Two years ago nearly as many shows with black female leads debuted as those with white female leads. Does that mean everything is perfect? No. Hollywood still has a long way to go. But of the non-white folks the last group I'm crying about are black women. One reason for that is because they aren't doing too shabby, especially on TV where they are not only getting a bunch of roles, but are also getting leading parts and being recognized with Emmy and Golden Globe nominations and wins in the past ten years as never before.

The one group that still dominates all in both TV and especially film is that of white men. Industry studies suggest they are over represented. And yet despite that when I go on social media or message boards devoted to TV and film I don't come across posts by white guys asking for black dudes getting more parts. They may like a certain black actor or two and wish for them to get more roles, but in general you won't find them spending their time making the case for black men specifically or men of color in general to get more opportunities. White males, from my experience, are pretty much territorial. Their bottom line is protecting their own advantage of being the industry's idealized man. Overall they prefer white chicks but they are wiling to "sacrifice" them if it came down between them and white women.

For example in this current push for inclusion people in Hollywood have increasingly made decisions to not have an all white main casts or to not make both their leading man and woman white. This leads to more of race-bending which is the industry term for casting non-white performers for roles originally conceived/written as white. White guy's attitudes, especially the derided so-called fanboys, are typically consistent and predictable. They don't care overall for race-bending but are likely to be more accepting of it as long as white men are still represented as the leads. So they will accept a MJ or an Iris West or a Valkyrie or an Elektra going against decades of tradition to be played by women of color but they are outraged when a Johnny Storm is cast with a black actor or if anyone suggests Iron Fist should be played by an Asian actor. If in this new Star Wars trilogy if Rey had been black and Finn had been white, which came close to happening, do you think there would have been as strong a negative reaction to the black Rey as there has been in our reality to the black Finn? Hell, no. There would have still been some racist pushback with a black Rey but it would have been far more muted. This is because white dudes would have felt their place has been reserved with Finn as a white guy (making him more popular in the process) and that is the status quo they care most about. And the white female reaction? Some would be outright hostile to the idea but they wouldn't be nearly as vocal about it as white men when would when they feel they are being replaced. The current Spiderman and Thor films serve as recent examples. Black females pretty much replaced white women in those films. In fact most of those characters had been white for decades in the comic books but were race-bended for these motion pictures. Yet I didn't come across white women crying about agendas like white men with fragile egos resort to when a white male character is race-bended. In general, in America at least, I have found that white women go along with whatever white males give their tacit approval to. This is partially why most of them vote Republican despite the fact that that party cares less about women's rights, care less about women's issues and provides less female candidates to run for office. The Republican establishment is mostly about keeping white men alone in power and unfortunately most white ladies co-sign that bullshit. This translates to how they absorb media. If Peter Parker is caught between two black women as possible girlfriends or if Rick Grimes has a black love interest (neither which happened in the comic books) white female viewers will go along with it as long as white males do.

As I stated earlier in the post white guys don't go to bat for men of color specifically to be better represented. At best they will make a case for "people of color" to get more opportunities, often they will argue for women of color. You see how that works? They don't push any agenda which specifically calls for less opportunities for white guys. White women on the other hand root against their own interest by campaigning for more representation of women of color, specifically black women. Granted these white chicks tend to be ones that lean liberal but still the point is the same. They go on twitter asking for more women of color, more black women, to get roles in superhero flicks and especially Star Wars film. They go around cheering on twitter whenever such casting happens. Its very nice of them to do so. It is also a little stupid because Hollywood is already more willing to lessen their representation at a rate it will not yet do to white men's representation.

6. JamalSpunky

I have to ask did his sister take shots at him for dating white ladies and/or comment on how that shit happens too much in general, blah, blah, blah? If the answer is yes then I have to take issue with that. This is the CW network in which black female characters have been paired off with white men (at times exclusively) without any of the showrunners or writers thinking they had to address the topic in that fashion.

7. JamalSpunky

No, this site isn't the male equivalent of the hater site I like to whine about. On that site they deride black men in a manner that would probably be seen as going too far even on the racist site website. :)

That said unless someone really crosses the line I don't feel the need to step in and ever defend black women on this site. I don't need nor do I want to carry their water. This is in part because of shit like this....

Dark King's post perfectly illustrates the mindset of many (not all) black women and witnessing decades of that has got me to the point of not giving a shit. If a black woman gets a lead role in a SW film, or wins a Senate seat or win a tennis title then good for them. I just don't care enough t advocate or celebrate it. Especially if I don't care for the individual who accomplished the achievement. That's where I'm at.

No need to celebrate most of anything they do because they will surely celebrate more than enough on their own. Black women make everything about them anyhow. It can't be Barack Obama's accomplishments (you know, the guy actually making the decisions and living with the consequences), it must be Michelle's accomplishments too and those of their daughters. It can't be about celebrating John Boyega's casting in SW, it has to be about when will those rumors of Lupita Nyong'o being cast come to pass? It can't be about the 81% of black men voting for a candidate in a crucial election, it must be about the 91% of the black women who did. We finally get a superhero film in modern times with a black male lead in Black Panther (I don't consider Blade to be a superhero) and black women on social media make it all about the black female characters in the movie. Whenever a black man does something great and noteworthy is it called Black People Magic. Whenever a black woman does something similar it is referred to as Black Girl Magic. We have now an annual celebration on BET dedicated to black girls specifically but nothing equivalent for black boys who may need the boost most of all. Why not have a show for both? Because black women are not about sharing the spotlight if they don't have to; they want the spotlight on themselves alone. This is the total opposite with what happened to the Taje Your daughter To Work Day that was driven by white people. After about a decade of it they decided to make it Take Your Child To Work Day which meant boys could be included. Such a decision would have never been an option if black women were making the decision. Hell, I'm sure we will soon get a Take Your Black Girl Magic To Work Day and it will stay like that forever.

That attitude is suffocating and a turnoff.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

the hater site I like to whine about really got me annoyed in the "Lebron slides in a WW DM's", thread last week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Preach brother preach. Its not enough that they get all the acclaim nope they have to demonize black men in the process since we are some how the white men of black people. It never stops

10. I agree with everything you said. My original post was just about me liking a character on the show for completely separate reasons than the ones you gave. Misunderstanding.

11. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Welp if I am the white man of black people, then I'm using my white privilege to white flight my ass away from bw

Hahaha

:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

13. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I'm glad other people are noticing that as well. I think it's because in their heads black men are well represented in film and tv. In some cases they are right, but they take those SOME cases and blow them up. BM have to be damn near perfect in order to sustain a career as an actor in Hollywood. BW are rapidly gaining ground in Hollywood and that is still not enough. And with this women's movement going strong I don't think any BM can right now win an argument about black men representation, but I like the direction things are headed it's just that it doesn't feel like those race barriers are all the way down so we have to keep it up.

14. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. Jeff's sister got on him talking about "isn't it stereotypical for a rich BM to be chasing after a WW?". I rolled my eyes at the scene.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  15. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

The only show on the CW where there is an interracial relationship between a bm and ww where no one seemed to be bother by it was on arrow with diggle and his wife. I believe there was a short lived one on the flash between kid flash and earth 2 flash, but they ended that since the actor came out as gay.

16. meowkittenmeow

Also, there seems to be some sort of budding romance between jimmy olsen and lena luthor on supergirl, so we will see.

17. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the only CW shows you watch are the DC shows, right? Because those aren't the only BMWW IR that have been on CW shows.

I haven't seen last week's (S03E05) or this week's episode (S03E06) of "Supergirl" yet, but I definitely peeped this in the first couple episodes of the season.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

He came out as Bi and the romance ending had more to do with the actress getting a Series Regular role on another show. Granted they way it ended was poor....

But yes Diggle and his wife is the only real romance. Wally was kinda puppy love with no confirmed sex.....Jax (The Black Part of Firestorm) has had even less romance, he has had like a one off... Supergirl, James not at all since moving over to CW. The record has been piss poor but maybe it will get better seen Andrew Kreisberg is out.

19. meowkittenmeow

Yeah, I only watch the DC shows and a show called craxy ex gf. So, I am not familiar with the other stuff. I will watch supergirl later on today, So, hopefully they go somewhere with it.

20. meowkittenmeow

Yeah, I was thinking about that last week. Jac was talking about getting laid and I was like, "when?". They desexualized the hell out of him, but keep the white guys having sex with the black women on the show. Even he bisexual character got laid pretty often.