BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

It's a lose lose situation when it happens with kids and/or favorite characters. Goes beyond race. I get what you mean though. Like I said it was cute and kudos for Stranger Things, a main stream show for including it along with other diversity among these characters.

Steve was a tool last season, that woke up late.

2. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

^^^ I really hope that Levy & Cohen cultivate this Max & Lucas puppy love over the course of the next few seasons. Make the youthful exploitation of adolescent amore a story arc that evolves progressively as the the cast matures. There is no upside in leaving all that potential $$$ on the table by dropping the IR storyline here. Maybe by season 6 or 7 or so they could become something akin to what the older teens on "Stranger Things" have leeway to indulge in . . . ~ sexual exploration (So how was the pull-out?" lmfao)

3. darkcurry

There was this british show, I believe it was a sci fi mystery type show where a black man had a white wife and involved in another IR relationship, I think they were having an affair or something like that. I don't remember the name of it. Anybody got any ideas?

4. chamber

chamber Active Member

UK Time travel comedy show Timewasters features IR. The character Jason has a ongoing thing with heiress Lady Victoria.

ITV2 series about a south London jazz quartet who find themselves stranded in the roaring 1920s

The shows was originally supposed to be called Black To The Future but Universal studios wouldn't let them use that name.

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I've mentioned before, it seems that IR involving BM in TV shows are only allowed to prosper when both the black male character & his IR love interest are supporting characters instead of being the lead or co-lead. Do you agree?

6. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

It's no surprise. But even that is often seen as in the background.

I remember seeing a few episodes of the sitcom Night Court. The black guy on that show is married to an Asian woman. It seemed like the marriage was comedic, but Harry Shearer was the star and it didn't go any further. So, yes. I agree.

7. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

I think there's a modality to the dynamic you're describing. Writing for main protagonists has a different set of mandates to satisfy than supporting ones. Mainly, supporting roles have less time and are used as usually stable backdrops and plot devices.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

They are minor characters in either one episode or scene. So the emphasis is mainly on the protagonist since he or she is the character that the audience wants to, or does care about.

9. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

Have to say I was dying for those two to get together the whole series.
    First love... the one you never forget :)
    Lucas is such a sweetie.

10. ColiBreh1

Just in case there's no confusion, when I said black male character & his IR love interest being supporting characters, I'm talking about both chracters being part of the regular cast (or 1 of them is a major recurring character while the other is a regular), they're just not the lead or co-lead OR it's an essamble cast with no real Lead.

11. darkcurry

Some times not even that.

But we do I believe have a first ever show where the white female lead is in a romantic relationship with a black man on Life Sentence due out in January. We'll see how that goes.

[​IMG]

12. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

I haven't read all of the thread so sorry if this has been mentioned before, but lovers of cop dramas should check out Prime Suspect.
    There's been an American remake, but I'm talking about the original British series from the 90s.
    Helen Mirren is awesome as the lead, a middle aged woman detective in a workplace full of men who all want to see her fail, and rife with institutionalised sexism & racism.
    She's brilliant. Ballsy, tough, smart and extremely clever, but also very feminine and sensual, with human failings, vulnerabilities and character flaws.
    It won loads of awards and took Helen Mirren's career to a whole new level.
    If you've not seen it you should definitely check it out.
    [​IMG]

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

There are some in soap operas. But in the soap opera world, it is a world in microcosm. All My Children, The Guiding Light, The Young & The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful(from what I can recall) had at least one black male character in an interracial relationship(dating or married). However, they are not as prominent.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I remember reading about the British version of Prime Suspect. Helen Mirren was on top of her game at the time.

15. Young Herschel

I really hope that Levy & Cohen reasonably build a credible teen interracial relationship btw Max & Lucas and don't dismiss them summarily .
    There is a little controversy though over the "Stranger Things" finale where Sadie Sink aka Max was surprised by the unscripted kissing scene with Caleb aka Lucas . . . one of the Hoffer Brothers just sprung it on this darling daughter of a Texas high school football legend out of the blue and she said she was stressed out at being put on the spot (I guess interracial relations aren't what she and her daddy expected ?). I don't have the link but just google Max & Lucas and the Teen Vogue article comes up and the twitter backlash over Hollywood's history of pressing young actresses to do scenes they aren't exactly expecting or completely comfortable with.

I just say this is a business not abuse . . . the Hoffer Brothers could always cast someone else to play Max if she or her people feel uncomfortable about advancing the Max & Lucas storyline . . . Sophie Turner was Sadie Sink 's age once lol and no reason one couldn't manufacture a redhead teenager if need be. Give me some Prince in season 3's soundtrack and some Sade too for good measure as the youngsters embark on their

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  16. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

You know I got the impression that she was stressed out doing her first kissing scene in front of a crowd without any heads up. Give her a break and some benefit of the doubt. She must have been well aware of the build-up to a Max-Lucas pairing and there has been no indication she was against that.

17. darkcurry

Did Millie Bobby Brown complain about her kissing scene with Mike? I'm not one to be pushing kissing scenes with young teens, but it wasn't all that big it was cute and fans accepted it. I hope it doesn't turn into something that it's not, because basically the vibe I got from his explanation and hers was just nerves and her being a young girl in front of a room full of people and The Duffer Bros doing what filmmakers and directors do wanting to help the actor/actress shake off the nerves. Some kids are so shy about that sort of thing and understandably.

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/stranger-things-sadie-sink-kiss

18. Agreed. Yo I was so ready to read replies slandering her like chill, it’s pretty easy to understand why she felt that way considering she’s a young girl.

19. Young Herschel

The ? is going forward, just based of this supposed firestorm in white conservative middle america, has the evolution of the Max & Lucas storyline hit an impasse that effectively nips their arc as a cute teen puppy love couple just embarking on something promising in the bud? I hope the Duffer Brothers just say look this is the acting business and we are going forward with this storyline in a respectful & responsible manner so any upcoming issues concerning the cast and crew of this francise and their issues, if any, with future romantic exchanges will be dealt with in-house. Translation: we reserve the right to exercise our complete dominion & control over the direction of this franchise and will cast & re-cast characters as the need arises (see Charlie Heaton).

I hope the new season begins with the Froshmen year at Hawkins High for thes youngsters . . . cannot wait too long to start shooting again because of unpredictable puberty (see Game of Thrones).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  20. ColiBreh1

I had both "Star" & "Empire" on in the background tonight.

On "Star" it looks like they gave the lead white female character Star, a black male love interest interest (Luke James, the actor that played Johnny Gill in the BET New Edition TV movie/mini-series that aired earlier this year). Here's a clip from an episode that aired last month:

On "Empire" it looks like they got something going on with Lucious/Terrance Howard & Demi Moore's character: