BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Dysfunctional relationships, especially interracial relationships on television are just a way to give some comfort to those who don't like interracial relationships other than friendship that the couple's relationship is imperfect and complicated because the nature of relationships is challenging. I have noticed that a successful interracial relationship is mostly with wm/bw. Bm/ww or other races of women are temporary, fleeting contemptuous or doomed. A loving bm/ww relationship is extremely rare on television and film. If the couple is younger, it will be tough. If the couple is older, they've weathered the storm but another challenge awaits them. What is the trepidation with writers when they create an interracial couple? Fear that the show will fail because of the couple? Advertisers and promotional considerations? Daytime soap operas take this risk because the demographics are changing. Prime time is different. The risks are greater.

I am thankful that there are more networks on television, but few have more courage.
    That is why if someone wrote a show that featured a healthy and loving relationship between a bm and a ww or woman of another race or ethnicity, and is picked up by an independent network, it is possible.

Tyler Perry writes his plays and films and he has full creative control. That is what needs to happen now.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

If they do, it doesn't last long.

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True,hope the IR characters last a little more longer.

4. Soulthinker

True indeed. In the Series House Of Lies Don Cheedle has full control and it shows in those IR scenes. The same with Mario Van Peebles,Samuel L. Jackson etc.

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Samuel L. Jackson's gay scene in The Hateful Eight doesn't count because it was a demonstration of his power of the guy. I don't know what Quentin Tarantino was thinking when he wrote that scene. But then he wrote the rape scene with Ving Rhames in Pulp Fiction.

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Agreed! And there are filmmakers out there that have promoted IR relationships between bm and ww on the independent front. Which is why I hope women like Amma Assante and Annie J. Howell get more opportunities after their independent hits highlighting IR relationships.

There are some great IR stories out there in literature and real life stories. I'm going to continue this weekend putting another story up about IR couples in history, I have another good one, but my girlfriend told me about when we got done reading and researching about The Black German of how this could be turned into a series on netflix or HBO or whatever because those accounts are that noteworthy and important to history and art.

7. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That is true. There are many great IR stories both imagined and real.

HBO has a writing masterclass program in the network that produces new stories into films or tv series. I think it is still there. You might also try Amazon or IFC in addition to Netflix and HBO.

8. Soulthinker

I'm talking about the flicks The Caveman's Valentine,In My Country,as well as The Hitman's Bodyguard.

9. Soulthinker

Hope to read The Black German soon. Cross my fingers if a project comes up.

10. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/Black-German-Afro-German-Twentieth-Century/dp/1781383111

If you want the Kindle:
    http://ebooksdownloadsplus.xyz/onli...st+websites+to+download+free+ebooks+TIDquegmi

Or did what My gf and I did and read it on Google:
    https://books.google.com/books/about/Black_German.html?id=I1J7vgAACAAJ

Good read, but the subject matter because of racism is rather tough. But I'm glad they translated this into english.

11. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

You forgot about Soul Men, Sam hooked up with a white woman in one scene.

12. Soulthinker

Got to see that one when I get a chance.

13. Soulthinker

It is no doubt a great book. I'm pleased it is translated into English.

14. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

If you listen to the trailer, it's clear that the father of Kathy Bates' son is Black.

She jokes about it around the 1:10 mark.

And I still wanna bone this chick.:)

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Soul Men was hilarious. Sam and Bernie Mac were a great team. Please check it out.

16. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'm about to watch the series premiere of the CW's "Dynasty" reboot series. I was watching featurettes/interviews on The CW's YouTube channel & this might be the 1st time I've ever seen a triangle between a ww (or non-bw) & 2 bm in a tv show or film:

17. Soulthinker

I did saw that flick it was Isaac Hayes' last appearance. It looked like a flirtation and her husband broke it up big time in one scene.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Yes, it was Isaac Hayes' last film and it was interesting that the film featured one of his songs being sung.

19. Not gonna lie, I want both to win in this love triangle but I’m lowkey rooting for Jeff

(Btw emojis don’t show up on this site? Damn)

20. Soulthinker

Hope to see that scene soon.