Not Together But Looking Good!

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by quantumblack, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yes it is.

What do you think about the song called Tomass on the Tutu album? Love the complexity of that song.

2. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Bass, guitar and trumphet, but bass in the band, though.

----

Nice to see more lovers of the Kind of Blue album.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that one. But I'll check it out. I once had Davis' Sketches Of Spain.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

When I was in college, there were more bass players than guitar players on campus. My nephew plays the upright bass, trumpet and French horn. I once studied guitar but played saxophone(started with alto and later moved up to tenor).

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Jazz, especially the classic, tells the listener to sit down and chill out. That's why it's always best while listening in a dimly lit or a dark room. Have a drink and let the drums, bass, piano and the principal instrument(s) take over. Other than classical or Latin pop could the listener do this. Just my opinion.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The second song on this album. I envision myself cruising the milky way when I listen to it.

7. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Cool. I have almost never touched a saxophone.

Listening to music is almost a lost art. Most people now a days use music as background noise.

8. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The saxophone is probably the easiest instrument to learn. I learned how to play jazz in almost six months. I have played with the college jazz band once(I was so nervous I couldn't play the solo I had rehearsed). Then I played before the music jury. I did very well with them. I was asked to sit in with a trio, but at the end of the performance they simply ignored me.

I don't think that listening to music is a lost art. I strongly believe that listening to music is a personal journey where everyone can find a perspective on the sound, tempo, feeling, the color ( as a little boy I had always heard colors in music) and many other things in music. I don't want to just listen to the music. I want to feel it. It can be in any genre. If I can feel it, that song will remain in my heart and soul forever.

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Sounds great. Lalo Schiffrin must've produced that piece. And you are right about it being a great song to cruise to. It is the perfect song for a long road trip.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Over 30 years ago, I remember seeing Miles Davis in a commercial for a jazz radio station in New York City. CD 101.9 FM. Other artists like Kenny G, Herb Alpert, Swing Out Sister(Breakout, Soulful Strut) appeared. Davis came on and said in that low, raspy voice, "CD101.9. Very cool. Like me."

What happened to those good times when FM radio was king?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I was way too young to appreciate his talent while he was alive. Who is the best jazz artist that's still alive in your opinion? I want to go to a good jazz show one day. Preferably in NOLA.

13. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

14. ColiBreh1

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

So they were fucking the whole time? Doesn't surprise me we all saw the video.

16. ColiBreh1

I doubt it because Corrine's supposed to have a boyfriend. Maybe they're not together anymore?

17. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

This has got to be the ODDEST thing to bring two people together. But two things are going on here:

1) This is a publicity stunt to stay relevant I think I remember her supposed to be wanting to get into show biz and have a show.

or 2) When they finally able to talk they realized they both got played and were the victims of BiP's scandal that I believe the show used
    as publicity and tried to paint a black man in a bad light.

Either one is believable after watching how all this played out.

Oh and reports said she broke up with her boyfriend.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I am not sure. I think Robert "Red Rodney" Chudnick , who toured with Charlie Parker may still be around. Phil Woods is still performing, Maynard Ferguson(not bebop but he is a jazz legend), Winton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis, Arturo Sandoval, Paquito D'Rivera(I met him in person, really cool guy), Keiko Matsui, three of The Manhattan Transfer(Tim Hauser had died), Melton Moustafa( his band is made up of his children and he comes from Miami), Ronnie Cuber, Lalo Schiffrin( he conducts orchestras around the world and still performs and composes music), I'll have to find out about the other jazz greats.

I have never been to New Orleans. And the live music scene is pretty lively. There was one musician by the name of Buckwheat Zydeco, an intense accordion player. Fats Domino(sung Blueberry Hill, I'm Walkin', Ain't That A Shame)is still performing, I think. The advantage in New Orleans is that there seems to be something around the corner there. And music is plentiful.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  19. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Well, Disney owns the ABC network, so it could be a stunt. If the scandal was a ploy, and they were the victims, perhaps their being together could be a show of solidarity. It could be seen in many ways. That's entertainment.

20. Ray9968

Ray9968 Active Member

From what I recall law enforcement never got involved,even though it was supposed to be a possible sexual assault.Only the network investigated.Leads me to to think the whole thing was a scam for publicity and ratings.