Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I honestly wish you republicans cared about corporate welfare as much as individual welfare. This obsession with how much illegal immigrants take out of the system pales in comparison. It's sad but hey let's ignore how destructive all this shit is until its our doorsteps and it's far too late

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Do you work for a Corporation? Have you ever? I used to think like you, and l sometimes still do, but I also realize that Corporations employee millions of people and are in business to turn a profit.
    I also bet you use a lot of large Corporations businesses, from FB to Amazon to Apple to Microsoft. The bottom line is...their bottom line. Perhaps it's the amount of profit they make that you take issue with?

3. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Welfare is also a complex issue with no easy answers, I would actually agree that corporate welfare gets FAR too much of a pass, media wise, and political scrutiny-wise. I remember how many people praised Ford during the bailout by not taking any direct funds from the package(Ford even played that up in the media), they were held up as beacons of free market capitalism, yet Ford did take help from the government around that same time as the bailout in the form of heavily discounted and favorably structured loans, and even some direct cash from other government sponsored programs.

And just fyi I formally switched to Independent status years ago after many years as a registered Republican.

4. The Dark King

I work with and do business with corporations daily. I care about profit at the expense of human suffering.
    Corporations are not benevolent they aren't giving out jobs to be nice like you said their goal is to turn a profit so I never understand why their choice of capital investment is seen as a virtue. Trust and believe they'd replace every last employee with a machine if possible.
    So explain to me why you think it's ok they make huge profits and pay little to no taxes in fact some get a damn refund but for some reason the focus is always the poor with you people.

5. The Dark King

My mistake

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I posted it because it highlights the stark 180 in a decade.
    The simple solution... is get in line, to the back of the line. I promise you Loki, having traveled all over the world, there are a vast amount of qualified people that would give their eye teeth to come into this country and work. The farming industry, housing industry, landscaping industry, and other financial sectors you noted did not magically begin with illegal immigrants. They didnt invent the industries and America was doing just fine prior.
    Again, there is the line, have you papers ready, have your clean-criminal and health record ready and pay your fees.
    If you're needed you will be hired and welcomed. It's called a hiring process and we've all gone through one.

Per the deficit it may cause to the economy over 10 years, l'm confident the need-basis replacement workers who will now be paying taxes, along with processing fees which run into at least $1000, along with their daily living expenses, etc, would even that up. America is not going to default just because illegals are made to leave. As your link stated, many of the jobs will be filled by out-of-work Americans and legal immigrants. Right now there's a whole class of young people that will never get a job. That will change.

As l noted elsewhere, 800,000 illegal immigrants in CA alone recently signed up for a driver's licence. That means there are 800,000 people right now that are either collecting welfare or collecting a tax-free paycheck. That is 800,000 positions not being filled by Americans and legal immigrants and that is in one State alone. Can you honestly tell me that's not going to change the dynamic of Americans' lives.

Finally, to give you a real example ...here in Philadelphia, Superfresh Markets had gone into a depressed neighborhood and opened a brand new market. They held a hiring weekend - almost 700 people lined up in the scorching heat with their suits and their dresses and resumes. For a Supermarket job. No one can tell me people don't want to work and that they won' do the jobs that illegals are doing. Illegals dont have the blueprint to manual work or labor jobs. I could continue but you get my point.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

If the immigrants have a civil engineering degree or get accepted to an abet program for it, let them come here because these folk obviously dont plan on even trying to cut down on greenhouse gases not even to save lives. These cites must be redesigned.

With the 4th largest city in America underwater, we look like a herd of jackasses. With Irma being the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic, I'm starting to take the possibly of leaving this country quite seriously.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Shit like Hurricane Irma only happens when conservatives started to politicize science.
    In the 1970s, whenever Congress declared science had reached a conclusion on an issue, the legislature sided with the welfare of the American people, not big corporate donors.
    Now, Republicans ONLY believe science that has the right political slant.

Al Gore told these fools back in the early 2000s about the future dangers from climate change. But what did the GOP do?? They smeared the former VP and claimed he was trying to get rich off carbon taxes.

Nope. Al Gore just understood the SCIENCE.

Conservatism somewhere in the 1980s stopped being a political ideology and turned into a RELIGION.
    Objective facts no longer matter to conservatives. What they care about most is whose side has the highest score.

That's how a buffoon like Trump got elected.

Nixon in the current political environment NEVER would have been impeached by a conservative Congress.
    Let that sink in for a few minutes.

9. andreboba

As an individual whose people were brought here against their will, there's something particularly wicked about president Dumbo overturning DACA and his AG Dixie Sessions arguing that 'Dreamers' are lawbreakers.

10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

There have been some studies and some evidence, when it comes to the farming industry, that Americans simply will not do the hard work, especially when it comes to harvesting by hand...https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...0f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.543b5ac29dce

"If we lose the workers who are here illegally, it’s hard to see how they’ll be replaced, because Americans are reluctant to take these jobs, particularly the ones harvesting crops. There’s a lot of evidence for this, both anecdotal and statistical, including a particularly compelling case study done in North Carolina in 2011. That year, 489,000 people were unemployed statewide. The North Carolina Growers Association listed 6,500 available jobs. Just 268 of those 489,000 North Carolinians applied, and 245 were hired. On the first day of work, 163 showed up, and a grand total of seven finished the season. Of the mostly Mexican workers who took the rest of the jobs, 90 percent made it through to the end."

There can also be unintended negative consequences as per below..

"What happens when labor prices increase? What if we raise pay from the current rates — about $12 an hour — to, say, the minimum wage that many are advocating, $15 an hour?

I checked in with a few agricultural economists — Jayson Lusk at Oklahoma State University, Philip Martin at the University of California at Davis, and a USDA economist who spoke on the condition of anonymity because public statements would require agency authorization — to understand how that change would reverberate through the food supply.

A wage increase will mostly affect fruits and vegetables, because commodity crops — corn, soy, wheat, cotton, and others — are highly mechanized, so most of the work is done by machines. With produce, about a quarter of every dollar we spend at the supermarket goes to the farmer. A third of that quarter — about 8 cents of your produce dollar — goes to the farmworker.

If wages increased 25 percent (from $12 to $15), and that cost were passed on to us, produce prices would rise 2 to 3 percent. The yearly impact would be in the range of $30 per household, certainly affordable for many but not for all.

But would the costs get passed on to us? It’s a critical question, and it’s hard to answer. Small increases might, but the supply chain might also respond in other ways. Martin told me in an email that “historically, rising ag wages led to labor-saving mechanization or imports, and food cost as a share of household spending has been falling.” If that’s what happens, you won’t see that increase in the grocery store because either farmers invest in machinery to reduce labor costs or the supply chain turns to imports. That means smaller farmers, without the economies of scale to support mechanization, are going to have the hardest time."

This is why I say that illegal immigration can be a very complex situation Bliss, and these are just a few examples, a "get in line and wait your turn" solution makes sense on the surface, but would bring about massive implications on multiple levels. I have always favored a guest worker (track them, they are allowed in for a fixed period of time, they are taxed, a certain % of their $ is held in the US,ect.) program, but it seems like every common sense legislation that would make this a reality gets shot down.

11. z

z Well-Known Member

I can't stand that Tranny Omorosa, I hope she is next to be fired. She ain't a conservative or lib. She is opportunistic , always talking about her brother and father death for political point, what a witch. Ed Gordon tried to take her to task. I wish an intelligent black woman checks her good. Everything about her so fake. Rest in peace Michael Duncan!

12. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/alex-jones-claims-trump-is-being-covertly-drugged/article/2634024

Yes, one possible explanation is a vast hidden government conspiracy to drug the President. I think a far simpler explanation is that a 70+ year old man is in the early stages of dementia.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  13. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

14. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch the brannon interview? That man is clearly anti immigration. I am not talking about illegal. He seems to me to want it all to stop. Everything else was nothing new.

15. andreboba

Bannon is an intellectual, educated and financially successful White supremacist.

The most dangerous kind of racist.

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

A man who appears like a slob instead of a "interllectual".

17. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

You're a lot more charitable than I am. My take: Trump has never, ever been a smart man; his gross lack of knowledge was never really an issue before because he has never received as much scrutiny as he has now. He was born rich and he's never actually had to be all that smart in order to stay rich. He just has to be not a complete and total dipshit.

Despite what some posters here would say, I disagree strongly with idea that wealth equals intelligence.

18. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. Born into wealth, father in real estate. How much brain power does it take to continue on including the shady crap. He may have been greedier (and possibly larger ego) than his father.

19. bodhesatva

bodhesatva Well-Known Member

I'm not sure guys. I never *liked* Trump -- let's put that aside for the moment -- but he was definitely more articulate in the past than he is today. Just watch some of this Larry King interview from a few decades ago (you don't have to watch all of it). There's a pretty clear difference in speaking abilities when you compare Trump in that interview to Trump today.

Your two options are that Trump is playing some crazy long con to dumb himself down to appeal to the masses, or his cognitive abilities have declined. Given that he's 71 years old, I would argue that the latter is much more likely.

And again, for emphasis: this is *completely separate* from whether Trump is a good person or not. I don't think he is and I don't think he was. That hasn't changed. But he's definitely different than he used to be, and cognitive decline is the most likely explanation, given his age.

(Sorry for fancy medical speak)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  20. andreboba

Agreed.
    Asshole or not, when Trump was in his 40s and 50s, even early to mid 60s, he was much sharper and quicker mentally. Considering his father suffered from Alzheimer's, you have to wonder if there's a reason why the Don doesn't seem like the same man upstairs today that he used to be.

What's most obvious about how stunted Trump has become is his reduced vocabulary. IMO he has a difficult time expressing himself in a coherent manner when he speaks or writes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017