Documentary: 'The Other Race' (Mixed Race)

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by Bliss, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

A great watch...

2017 Release.
    Directed by The Mechanical Eye,
    THE OTHER RACE is a film about the multiracial experience and growing up stuck between different races. we interviewed a number of multiracial people who shared their stories with us.

Instagram: ModishStills

2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

TLDW version:

Starts @13:06

[​IMG]

- Was raised by her Black aunt (dad's sister) and grew up in a predominately Black area.
    -Black girls gave her the most problems because they told her she's "trying to act Black."

[​IMG]

-Raised by Black family.
    -She doesn't know her Asian side.
    -Black girls were jealous of her "light skin & long hair."

[​IMG]

-Black people mistreated her the most because they judged her white mom's cooking skills and assumed negative things about white people.

[​IMG]

-Black people judged him the most because of his white mother.
    -He grew up in the hood and fought hard to be accepted by the Black community.
    -Black girls told his little sister she wasn't "Black enough" so she cut her hair off when she got home.
    -Advantage of being biracial is learning about more cultures.

[​IMG]

-Identifies as biracial because her GRANDMOTHER (mom's mom) is white.
    -Says Black kids mistreated her the most but doesn't specify how.
    -Says people bring up slavery, but slavery is irrelevant because our ancestors went through that, not us.
    -Says Black people shouldn't be mad at the brown paper bag test.
    -Used slang and wore cool Nike shoes to fit in with the Black kids at school.
    -White girls love her personality, not just because she's light-skinned.
    -Her best friend is dark-skinned.
    -???

[​IMG]

-Identifies as Black because her dad is Black.
    -Was raised by her white family.
    -All of her white aunts have mixed kids.
    -Black girls always tried to fight her.

[​IMG]

-Grew up with her white side of the family.
    -Black people were more accepting of her and her sister, but she's tired of Black people thinking white people are bad.

[​IMG]

-His white mom got a lot of flack from his father's family.
    -They made mean comments about her cooking skills.
    -When they would have family functions, the Black women in his family wouldn't include his mom.

[​IMG]

-Black girls discriminated against her the most.
    -She's been labelled a 'bitch' & 'hoe' because she's light-skinned/biracial.

*All of them say they've been called a n***er by white people on several occasions, but Black people gave them the most problems overall.*

Seems like propaganda to me.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Most likely because that was their primary enviroment. It could be reversed if they were exposed to and/or living in different areas.
    Point is, there is an identity they identify with, which is bir-racial.

4. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Ok, what is it with the belief that WW can't cook?

5. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hope to see that doc soon.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

There's a very popular sterotype about the lack of seasoning in White people's food compared to ethnic food.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You mean salt!?

8. Reverie

Ok. ;)

9. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

When I heard the title of the documentary, I thought most the participants would be identifying as something other than Black or White, hence the title "The Other Race".

Kids get teased for being different. Kids can be mean as shit.
    If these people had grown up in predominantly White communities, they would have been teased too. People just may not have been so much up in their face about it.

Unfortunately, this isn't South Africa or Brasil where mixed race people are allowed to exist in their own separate racial category.

I haven't watched the documentary so I don't know the slant it's trying to take.

Don't most of them identify as Black anyway??

(Poor Rachel. SHe missed out.)

Is the brotha with the gold grill responsible for this vid??

10. Reverie

I think all these people was beautiful.

11. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

It's fucking true Lol!

Personally I'm not a fan of majority of women's cooking.

12. Reverie

I don't use much salt, it is not good for our bodies.

That is totally on you.

13. JamahlSharif

JamahlSharif Well-Known Member

Homegirl with the white grandma needs to go sit her ass down somewhere...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Interesting! Going to check this out!

15. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

This really sucks. Back in the day I definitely recall the bi-racial girls really catching it from from black girls. In fact... I'm not sure it's much different treatment WW (who date BM) get from many BW The bi-racial boys had a much eaiser time. They had some teasing here and there from black dudes, and some lots of the black girls wanted to get with them

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Lol...apparently there's 'jokes' on it..

[​IMG]

(Hmmm, hopefully it's ^ in jest and not a mock.)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That meme or Tweet is cruel.

18. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

"Gymnii" looks the most troubled with the dumb name, tats, face rivets and dreads. Wouldn't shock me if she was a lesbo

Blacks always attack and wanna fight the lighter-skinned, well-spoken blacks or biracials. It's always been my theory that a good percentage of Obama hate/criticism from black people came out of that, not what he actually did

Black people run these kinds of people out of the hood, then years later whine that the smart people didn't stick around to teach their retarded bad-ass kids at the local public schools

19. K

K Well-Known Member

agreed

Then there are those who treat them like they are some sort of celebrity....on trend or whatever. Going out of their way to say "hi", act like they know them and so forth.

20. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

RE Obama. How much hate and criticism does he actually get from the black community?

IMO black people were (and are still) reticent to criticize him because of his race and his status as the first black president. Dude campaigned as a progressive reformer when, in reality, he was just a centrist, corporatist shill who was too afraid to address black issues in any manner besides spinning bullshit respectability politics for the cameras.

You had BLM activists targeting every politician possible the past few years but they never said dick to Obama despite the fact that he was the one in office when all of the abuse that they were protesting against happened. His (Republican) appointees for Director of the FBI and the ATF were out saying that there was no problem with police and abuse and it was all on the black community during the 2016 election cycle.

Additionally, there's no way in hell that he would have gotten elected POTUS if he weren't half black. His ancestry is the only thing that wrestled black support from the Clintons after he won the Iowa caucus. Otherwise, Hillary would have easily won the primary.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of vocal black Obama critics (who aren't paid right-wing coons) are fervent leftists who are angry about his policies and the way that he has continued to use his influence to push the Deomcratic party to the center (right) and towards corporate money even after he's left office.