Awesome Nature Pics

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Tamstrong, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tamstrong

3. Tamstrong

4. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Great pictures Tamstrong, I could watch this thread all day when i get the chance.

6. Tamstrong

Thanks, DC.

I love nature photography; I get lost in the beautiful images. It helps keep me sane.

7. Tamstrong

8. Tamstrong

9. Tamstrong

10. missshyness

missshyness Active Member

Awesome pictures, thank you, I find big open skies, and spaces somehow comforting.

11. Tamstrong

12. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Fly Geyser, Washoe County, Nevada
    [​IMG]

( They look like super-lions to me)

The fly geyser is an amazing geothermal geyser located in the Northwest of the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. To your surprise, the fly geyser is not a natural geyser. This amazing geyser was created accidentally when a geothermal company drilled a test well at this site.

Back in 1964, a geothermal company drilled a well on the private fly ranch located in the Northwest of Black Rock Desert, to find geothermal power. They found the underground water on the site is not hot enough for a geothermal plant. So they abandoned the project and left the well uncapped. The site is still a private property, owned by Todd Jaksick.

Gradually, the hot underwater began to rise from the weak spots of the well. The constant release of mineral rich water also results in the formation of limestone mount on the site. The limestone mount is still growing by the continuous deposition of minerals. The presence of thermophilic algae also gives brilliant red-blue coloration to the mounts of the fly geysers.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

[​IMG]

At a depth of 121 feet and a diameter of 370 feet, the grand prismatic spring is the largest hot spring in the United States. The brilliant coloration is one of the most distinguishing factors of grand prismatic hot spring. The mineral rich, deep-blue colored water of this hot spring is lined with patches of vibrant red, yellow and green.

The magnificent coloration on the edges of grand prismatic hot spring is caused by the presence of pigmented bacteria. They can thrive in the high temperature of the hot springs. But no form of life is present in the center pool due to extreme heat which can reach temperature around 87 degree Celsius.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

16. Tamstrong

^^Great pics, Bliss!

[​IMG]

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Haha..talking to a wonderful lady who is from Belize...she was telling me about the BLUE HOLE. So l looked it up...

[​IMG]

It's her b-day today and she is being so friendly, just struck up a convo with me. She said you can fly for $300 each way...and rent a nice house for $250-300 pet mnth in San Pedro or Key Caca. She said the service is impeccable and country is not crowded. $U.S dollar is worth 2 there.

[​IMG]

18. Tamstrong

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

@Tamstrong
    Are you in the eye of the hurricane coming?

20. Tamstrong

Thankfully I don't live near the coast. I'm in the north central part of the state.