The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

The original Black Lightning comic had to do with the streets, gangs and drugs, though.

Falcon and War Machine in the Marvel movies have nothing to do with ghetto issues, they're world-savers. So there's that at least

2. RicardoCooper

More like that's the only story that the Jew producers/financiers will buy.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Amazing writing fam. Check it out

4. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I never read the comic. So, was he DOc's Luke Cage?

I wish they had done Icon instead of Black Lightening. If they wanted younger, Static would've been a great choice. He has a nice size fan base of all colors because of his cartoon.

5. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean, "This Is Us." My girl was going crazy over that show. I want to watch it, I just haven't had the time. I'll catch up over the summer when there's less to watch.

6. The Dark King

Can't wait to see what you think. We have similar thinking.

7. The Dark King

I think they fear a white girl fan base. I'm paying close attention to this shit. It's beginning to feel orchestrated. The Flash young 20 something awkward but loveable. You get Kid Flash who is an awesome addition who has a girlfriend we never see and the real life actor is gay.
    Arrow who is another 20 something who takes charge and women swoon over. Here comes Diggle who is his physical equal who plays his incredible dutiful sidekick who runs behind boss Oliver at all costs. Everyone has a mind of their own even go off on their own but good old digg knows his place. Hell the character has killed only one person after seasons and they made sure it wasn't a white criminal it had to be his own brother.
    Then we Legends where the only black guy hero gets his power by joining up with a white guy. No agency of his own, his power isn't even his without the assist of an older smarter white man. And to top it off he is literally the only main character without any romantic interactions save for the fire guy who has no ambition outside of burning shit up. Yet the two female characters on the show always seemed to find love with some white guy.
    Lastly we have Supergirl where the main character did like a black guy but they barely shared a kiss after an entire season. They destroyed that love story absolutely no work in that part of the writing. We also get a rarity of having another black guy who is also the Martian Man Hunter who is considered the most powerful being on earth according to Superman yet for some reason Supergirl constantly calls the shots and he is also another one who gets no love story. Her gay sister gets a love story even the little tech guy gets a reoccurring one but the black men nada.

8. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amber Heard looking hot as Mera on the set of Aquaman, currently shooting in Australia.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Jordan Peele To Produce Horror/Sci-Fi Series ‘Lovecraft Country’ For HBO

[​IMG]

Get Out writer-director Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Productions is teaming with J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot and Warner Bros Television on Lovecraft Country, a one-hour drama that has been given a straight-to-series order by HBO. The pilot will be written by Underground executive producer/showrunner/writer Misha Green. Peele will be exec producer along with Green, Abrams and Ben Stephenson. Green will be showrunner.

There is connective tissue to Peele’s breakout genre feature Get Out, which brought a Black Lives Matter theme to the horror genre. Lovecraft Country, the 2016 novel from Matt Ruff, focuses on 25-year-old Atticus Black. After his father goes missing, Black joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America to find him. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the malevolent spirits that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback. The goal is an anthological horror series that reclaims genre storytelling from the African-American perspective.

Peele brought the book to Bad Robot and enlisted Green.

“When I first read Lovecraft Country I knew it had the potential to be unlike anything else on television,” Green said. “Jordan, JJ, Bad Robot, Warner Bros and HBO are all in the business of pushing the limits when it comes to storytelling, and I am beyond thrilled to be working with them on this project.”

This comes after his Monkeypaw banner was staked to a first-look film deal at Universal. Universal-based Blumhouse made Peele’s breakout genre hit Get Out, which has grossed $215 million worldwide on a $4.5 million budget. He formed Monkeypaw in 2012 to tell stories in comedy, horror and other genres, but his genre work is quickly overtaking his previous identity in comedy from MADtv and the Emmy- and Peabody-winning Comedy Central series Key & Peele.

Monkeypaw also produced Keanu, the film he starred in with his longtime TV series partner Keegan-Michael Key.

10. RicardoCooper

BL was DC's Luke Cage only with electrical powers.Notable because a) he was DC's 1st headline black superhero and b) the artist Trevor Von Eeden was a 16 year old black kid himself. He wrote into DC with the idea for Black Lightning and they hired him

1976 version. As you can see he fights dope pushers
    [​IMG]

90s reboot version
    [​IMG]

Icon & Rocket would've been dope but Middle Murca ain't ready for a Black Superman. Then again Icon was a Republican in the comics (he was alive when Lincoln freed the slaves)

Static would also be cool. But I liked the original look with the "X" hat not the shitty dreads they had him in later

11. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

Originally from Africa, Mari McCabe grew up an orphan after her parents were killed by local greed, corruption and wanton violence. But Mari refuses to succumb to the terrors surrounding her. Inheriting her family's Tantu Totem, Mari can access the powers of animals – anything from the strength of a gorilla to the speed of a cheetah. As Vixen, she fights valiantly to protect the world from threats like those that claimed her family.

Vixen: The Movie combines the first two seasons of the CW Seed digital series into a single uniform story and includes 15 minutes of all-new, never-before-seen content. On sale 5/23.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They missed some good opportunities for expanding the shared Arrow/Flash universe by not making Black Lightning a part of it. Unlike with Supergirl, there's no reason for him not to be in that universe. Yeah, I know the show was originally pitched to be a Fox series, but once that fell through and it was picked up by the CW it should have been a no brainer to make it a part of the universe.

Being that he was "retired" it could have been established that he was the first active "metahuman" hero before Arrow & Flash ever came on the scene, effectively making him the "Superman" of their universe.

Hopefully it's revealed that the gang activity is all part of a much larger part of an organized crime/metahuman crime boss's operations rather that just basic street level crime that's plaguing the city. That way they expand and introduce other metahuman characters beyond Black Lightning and his daughters in the same way they have done with the other CW hero series.

13. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

New mag cover image from WW and new international posters.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

From Bane to Venom : Tom Hardy Signs On To Play Eddie Brock In Spider-Man Spin-Off Film

[​IMG]

Sony Pictures announced today that Academy Award-nominated actor Tom Hardy has signed on to play Eddie Brock in their upcoming R-rated Marvel film Venom.

The high-priority project is being developed as its own standalone feature, not as a Spider-Man spin-off, as the studio attempts to launch their own extended cinematic universe that will utilize characters from their surprisingly large Marvel library. It's still uncertain at this point in time whether his archrival Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland (Spider-Man: Homecoming) or by an older actor, will make any sort of appearance in this upcoming venture.

Hardy, who is on the record as a huge fan of Venom, is a major get for the studio as they attempt to expand their Spider-Verse. He also comes with some pretty solid comic book movie experience, having previously starred as classic Batman villain Bane in 2012's The Dark Knight Rises. After that, he was courted for key roles in X-Men: Apocalypse and Suicide Squad, but ultimately turned both offers down.

Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) will direct with a script from Scott Rosenberg (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle) and Jeff Pinkner (The Dark Tower).

Production is expected to begin this fall with a release date already set for October 5, 2018.

Hardy is best known for his roles in The Dark Knight Rises, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, Warrior, The Drop, Legend, and Inception. He also recently completed the first season of Taboo, a series he co-created, and will be seen next in Christopher Nolan's war drama Dunkirk this summer.

15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I've never really liked Venom, but Tom Hardy in the role gives me hope that it won't be suck.

16. RicardoCooper

Ugh not feeling this one. Seems like a cash grab. Spidey overall is played out IMO except for the upcoming in-MCU reboot. Looking forward to that.

17. RicardoCooper

Meh. Too little too late. The time to have done Venom was when Sony had Spidey 100% i.e. Spider-Man 3. Now they share the rights with Marvel Studios

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Another Sci-Fi themed series that will be canceled because it's on Fox....

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I' don't think they share the rights, I believe they are in a partnership that allows them to do their own thing after a set amount of films.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Interesting premise, but the "Comedy Star Trek" joke was covered pretty well with Galaxy Quest. So I hope there is substance beyond that.