Teen dies after drinking Mt.Dew, latte and energy drink

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Bliss, May 16, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Healthy boy, had a healthy heart:
    l dont drink energy drinks anymore for this reason.

-------------
    A 16-year-old boy from South Carolina who died after collapsing at his school last month had so consumed so much caffeine that it killed him, a medical examiner said on Monday.

Davis Allen Cripe fell unconscious in a classroom at Spring Hill High School on April 26 and later died at Palmetto Health Parkridge Hospital in Columbia, South Carolina, according to WLTX.

At a press conference on Monday afternoon, Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said the teen had consumed multiple caffeinated beverages, including a large diet Mountain Dew, a McDonald's cafe latte and an unidentified energy drink, within the 2 hour span before he became ill.

According to Watts, this steep caffeine consumption tragically led to a cardiac event that killed Cripe, who was described as a model student.

"We lost Davis from a totally legal substance," Watts said. "He was totally against drugs, he was totally against alcohol. He didn't do any of that."

Watts says like many, Cripe had thought the drinks were totally harmless -- but the coroner warns that caffeinated beverages can actually be very harmful.

"These drinks can be very dangerous," Watts said. "I'm telling my friends and family, Don't drink them."

In his obituary, Cripe is described as an amazing son who "was larger than life and he did everything with great passion. He made us and his friends, laugh non-stop and had an immense love for music and its healing power. He had a personality you couldn't help but fall in love with."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ao...-after-drinking-diet-soda-latte-energy-drink/

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Too much caffeine can kill.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

I am very sensitive to caffeine so I stay away from it at all costs, have not been near the stuff since graduating from college. Energy drinks honestly scare the hell outta me.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sensitive in what capacity? Allergic?

I love my coffee, however l agree 100% about the Energy drinks. They scare me too. I'm convinced l'm going to have a heaet attack if l drink one.

5. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Im so sensitive that a small amount cause my heart to beat well it feels as fast as a hummingbird can flap its wings, and i get so jittery that my whole body feels like it shaking, the last time I got a real dose I could not sleep I was up for 2 days.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Sad story, but I believe it. Caffeine has done a few numbers on me. I had an undiagnosed sleeping disorder that was causing me to self-medicate with tons of energy drinks to stay awake. Then one day I had a caffeine induced panic attack at work and things got shitty for me there really fast.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

That's crazy. Because you never know when you have had that one too many.
    I've felt out of sorts, jittery like Glt's symptoms...

@ your reaction..it sounds like it was more likely an anxiety attack if it was caffeine provoked. They are still scary. Especially because you can practically hear your heart-beat in your chest along with feeling it.

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I've always had some anxiety issues, But up until that point, I had never experienced those intense symptoms. I was so wired that my eyes were bulging and my heart was fluttering like a hummingbird.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Completely understand, Thump.

10. K

K Well-Known Member

That's awful!

11. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

I had a caffeine overdose when I was 22. My son was a baby and I worked the graveyard shift at a c-store, so I got very little sleep. I started taking those caffeine pills at work to stay awake (I'm not a fan of coffee). I was having a rough week with my baby being sick and mandatory overtime, and in my exhaustion I lost track of how many I'd taken. The next thing I knew I was shaking and jittery and dizzy, my heart was pounding and my chest hurt, I was throwing up/dry heaving like crazy, and I had several non-convulsive seizures. I thought I was dying, and I was scared shitless.

At the ER they kept asking what narcotic I'd used, and they didn't seem to believe me when I told them I hadn't taken anything but the caffeine pills. They ended up pumping my stomach (I don't know how there was anything left in there after all the puking, but they did it anyway), putting me on IV fluids for a while, and sent me home. It took me several months to start feeling human again, and I couldn't handle caffeine in any form for a long time. I was fortunate that it didn't do more than just kick my ass. I never touched those caffeine pills again.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List